Tar Heels avoid past mistakes

While the North Carolina field hockey team cruised through its first nine games to an undefeated record and a No. 2 ranking, the Tar Heels had yet to be tested.

All eyes were on Saturday's match at No. 5 Duke as a potential turning point.

But instead of reverting to last year's disappointing second half, the team turned up the intensity and is set to take the top spot in the rankings this week.

Last season, UNC was 13-1 and ranked No. 2 heading into its annual game in Durham. But the Tar Heels went home with a 5-0 loss that sent the team in a downward spiral.

UNC lost its next two games on its way to a disheartening first-round exit from the NCAA Tournament.

"We talked about it going into this weekend, that we didn't want to have that slump," said UNC coach Karen Shelton.

As a result, the Tar Heels survived their first test of the season, gaining a key win against their rivals.

As UNC moves to 11-0, it is the last team standing in the powerhouse ACC with an unblemished record.

Last week's No. 1 team, Maryland, lost to Wake Forest on Saturday.

"I told the girls not to worry about the No. 1 ranking because we want to be No. 1 at the end," Shelton said.

The 2003 Tar Heels struggled with inexperience, but this year they are more prepared for the hardships of the long season.

"I think that we had freshmen playing last year that got tired towards the end," Shelton said. "They've matured a little bit, and they know what to expect. They've lived through it. I think experience helps us a lot."

That experience starts with the strong senior class, experience that the 2003 team lacked.

Senior co-captain Carey Fetting-Smith said her class is key in leading the team during tough stretches.

"This is a hard time in anybody's season, and what you do right now is going to determine how great your team can be," Fetting-Smith said.

"I would say definitely our five seniors are stepping to the plate on this challenge, and I'm confident in us as a group and what we can do to meet this challenge."

The win against Duke was a big step for the team, but far from the last. North Carolina still has to play defending national champion Wake Forest twice and travel to Maryland.

"We also understand that there is a lot that we need to improve upon in order to reach our potential, and we still haven't done it yet," Shelton said.

"I thought (Saturday) was an important step for us, but we are still not close to where we need to be."

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.