APS celebrates shelter's opening

New adoption center drops cages in favor of more open roaming rooms

The Animal Protection Society of Orange County saw light at the end of the tunnel this weekend with a grand opening celebration of its new adoption center.

After two years of continuous controversy, APS, which previously managed the Orange County Animal Shelter on Airport Road, has moved out of the dog house and into new facilities in Mebane.

The move comes months after the Orange County Board of Commissioners handed control of the animal shelter to the county, a decision stemming from reports of lack of accountability and operation problems with APS.

But on Saturday and Sunday, APS celebrated the grand opening of its new adoption center with an open house and public tour.

Kay Flaminio, executive director for APS, spoke promisingly about this new era for the organization and its goals for the facility.

"We're very relieved that the facility is finally open," she said. "This is a new beginning."

The adoption center will work with the county's animal shelter by taking in the animals up for adoption.

Flaminio said the adoption center has come up with innovative ways to create a more agreeable experience for animals coming from the shelter. Instead of cages, the dogs are kept in separate rooms so they can roam more freely.

Each room is enclosed with a dutch door, which provides more interaction between prospective adopters and the animals, as well as a haven for more exercise.

There are also "roaming cat rooms" where the cats live together and interact with each other.

Flaminio said the purpose of planning the facility this way was to ensure a non-stressful environment for the animals, making them more attractive for adoption.

"All of the animals that come in are simply extraordinary," she said.

Lisa Smith, director of APS, worked at the animal shelter for four years and said the adoption center is a good step forward.

She said the county shelter and APS have had a good working relationship in the process of opening the center to the public.

Eileen Mustian, a new board member who was a volunteer at the county shelter, said it was important to inform people of the adoption center. She said APS has been striving for attention from the community.

"We are starting to have some really happy endings for these animals, and now we are able to care for even more animals," she said.

Flaminio said the facility features a close proximity to the veterinary clinic, animal training and inexpensive spay and neuter services.

These advancements help to minimize future problems with adopted animals, she said.

Despite controversy over APS management of the county shelter, Flaminio said those who have visited the adoption center have been pleased with the efforts to create a more suitable environment for animals and to prepare them for adoption.