Board delays its vote on public forum policy

After heated debate, Orange County School Board members decided Monday to postpone voting on a motion that would allow a limited public forum in county schools.

Initially, the board voted in favor of allowing a limited public forum in Orange County Schools, which would allow certain nonprofit organizations to distribute materials to students.

But then a motion to reconsider was made by board member Delores Simpson.

Motions to reconsider must be made by a board member who voted on the prevailing side. Simpson had the tie-breaking vote the first time around.

Board Chairwoman Libbie Hough, who voted against the distribution of materials in school, said that although she was in favor of promoting organizations that benefit schools, she does not believe distributing pamphlets to students is the best course of action.

"Our mission is to educate children. (Orange County Schools) are not a PR firm or a PR arm for local businesses," Hough said.

Board member Randy Copeland, who had voted in favor of allowing the public forum, was quick to point out that many of the organizations trying to distribute pamphlets were organizations designed to benefit students, such as the Hillsborough Youth Athletic Association.

"There are clubs that are providing good things for our students," Copeland said. "I have a real problem with limiting the information that can be sent home."

Shirley Carraway, the superintendent of Orange County Schools, said many teachers had voiced concerns about important school-related material getting lost in the mass of papers that would come home with children.

"(A teacher's) fear is that those important materials that they need to get to the parents will never get to (the parents)," Carraway said. She added that teachers had expressed concern about the time they would spend distributing pamphlets, as well as the volume of papers they would need to deal with.

Board Vice Chairwoman Brenda Stephens expressed similar sentiments, saying that she, too, had heard from teachers and principals with concerns.

"Our principals are concerned with our students being used as vehicles for sending out materials," Stephens said. "We always have to strive to respect our teachers, and that is why I cannot support this."

Steve Piscitelli, a member of the board of directors for the Hillsborough Youth Athletic Association, appealed in favor of the forum, saying that his association provides a service that directly benefits the students.

Board member Al Hartkopf said that although he sees the relevance of these organizations, he fears that "important things will become totally lost in the shuffle."

The board postponed the vote until its next meeting.