Last-minute shoppers shouldn't be spooked

Local vendors offer various Halloween getups

Chapel Hill police are expecting a crowd of 70,000 to overtake Franklin Street on Sunday.

After 9 p.m. the street will be closed off in honor of ghosts, ghouls and goblins, in addition to those locals who plan to sport more atypical costumes.

But with only two days left until the celebration, some Chapel Hill residents and students might be spooked that they have yet to find a costume.

Fortunately for those last-minute shoppers, some of the best places to shop for creative costumes are not hard to find.

At 309 E. Main Street in Carrboro, Surplus Sid is glowing with the Halloween spirit.

"We consider ourselves world famous 'Halloweenists' down here," said Barry "Sid" Keith , owner of the army supply store.

He said this year's most popular requests have been rock star costumes, including a Marilyn Manson getup, and "Star Wars" costumes, which include a variety of Jedi outfits.

Keith said people who wanted to wear costumes in groups can also find help at Sid's.

The Village People, characters from "Gilligan's Island" and the Seven Dwarfs were popular costume requests. The shop also carries military costumes for any "Top Gun" fans out there, Keith said.

Time After Time, a vintage clothing store at 414 W. Franklin St., is another Halloween haven for locals.

Co-owner Annie Jackson said that customers tend to ask for advice on what they can put together for Halloween. "I think they are overwhelmed because there's so much stuff in here," she said, "and we can point them in the right direction."

A plethora of masquerade masks, boas, cowboy boots and vintage clothing can enhance most outfits and add to even the most popular costume ideas, which include characters from "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl," cross-dressing, Mario and flapper costumes.

Down the road is Classic, located at 171 E. Franklin St., which carries an array of Halloween accessories

Nina Chellani, wife of the owner, said if you already have a costume in mind, the shop offers funky jewelry, scarves, cowboy hats, fishnet tights and wigs to complement any costume.

She said she is expecting more people to come to the store closer to Halloween because people are very excited about Sunday night.

There are also Halloween shops located on the U.S. 15-501 Bypass.

Dance Design, at 153 Rams Plaza, houses costumes and accessories galore. The store rents costumes for a period of a week.

And Party City, located at 5402 New Hope Commons Drive in Durham, has costumes and accessories covering all ends of the black-and-orange spectrum.

"People can't wait till all the fun starts," Chellani said.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide