McCluskey contained by Tar Heels

Down a goal with 10 minutes to go against North Carolina on Thursday night, the Duke women's soccer team needed some momentum.

And Casey McCluskey, the ACC's second leading goal scorer, was just the one to give the team a spark.

The Blue Devils moved the ball into UNC's backfield, and McCluskey broke ahead of the pack. She received a pass with nothing but grass and the goal in front of her.

Just when she thought she was free, the linesman raised his flag, signaling offsides.

McCluskey trotted back with her head down. The play was a typical moment during her frustrating game.

The senior forward has 57 shots on the season but registered none against the Tar Heels' suffocating defense.

McCluskey said she was thrown off by UNC's aggressive tactics, which push more toward the offensive end of the field than most teams'.

"They play a really high restraining line, and they push up really quick," she said. "I, personally, got called offsides like 15 times."

The UNC defense targeted McCluskey all night, effectively taking her out of the game.

"I think she's a great player," said UNC coach Anson Dorrance. "She's having a great year, and we had to deal with it. She's one of the best players, not just in the conference, but in the country. We had a lot of respect for her and what she can do."

Dorrance's team was able to slow down McCluskey, but the game remained close because junior forward Carolyn Riggs picked up the slack.

She scored the Blue Devils' only goal on a broken play in front of the net. With UNC goalie Aly Winget out of position, Riggs possessed the ball and drilled it into the net from 5 yards out.

She also had the best chance for Duke to tie the game at 2 when she fired the ball from the top of the goal box. A diving save by Winget preserved the Tar Heel lead.

Riggs said that being the focal point of the offense was an unfamiliar role for her.

"Casey gets a lot of respect," she said. "She's had a lot of goals, and I've had more off the ball. I haven't really been that person. I had an opportunity to step up in that role."

The Tar Heels' scouting, Riggs said, was the key to keeping McCluskey off the scoreboard.

"Casey didn't have a bad day," Riggs said. "I just think they respect her as a weapon."

The Tar Heel defense has been shutting down players like McCluskey all season. The team has allowed just 0.55 goals per game, and it shows no signs of slowing down as it heads into the postseason next week.

"They come out here with confidence," McCluskey said. "They are the No. 1 team in the nation, and you have to respect that."

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.