Republicans enjoy picnic, politics

Online Exclusive

Orange County Republicans met at the Palmer's Grove Community Center in Hillsborough to raise awareness for the political party in a mostly Democratic county.

The county has more than twice as many registered Democrats as Republicans, with 45,378 and 19,070, respectively.

"We started (this event) last year at this location as a time to get together," said Sandy Peterson, chairwoman of the event.

"A lot of people think that they are the only Republicans in the county. This is a way to get together and enjoy each other's fellowship. That isn't easy with all the farm folk around here."

Although the weather wasn't ideal for a picnic, the event was cheerful, as children played on the playground outside and adults listened to the speakers.

The event featured N.C. Senate candidate Robert "Whit" Whitfield, U.S. House candidate Todd Batchelor and Jamie Daniel, a candidate for Orange County Commissioner.

Rather than giving formal speeches, the politicians spoke casually to the crowd and cracked jokes about their opponents or even themselves.

Whitfield said his opponent, Democratic incumbent Ellie Kinnaird, has a bad record and should be taken out of office.

"If conservatives get out and vote, we can do miracles," Whitfield said. "I mean, Carolina beat State, didn't they?"

Paul Newton, Orange County grassroots organizer for Republican gubernatorial candidate Patrick Ballantine, said his campaign is focused on bringing out the faults in Gov. Mike Easley's administration.

"(There has been) a mismanagement of state by Mike Easley, the largest tax increases in North Carolina history, the largest scandals in North Carolina history and poor leadership," Newton said.

"They are not only out of good ideas, they are out of good leadership."

Fred Parker, a representative for Judge John M. Tyson, a candidate for N.C. Supreme Court justice, wanted to make voters aware that this year's judicial race is nonpartisan, meaning there is no party affiliation beside the candidate's name on the ballot.

He also stressed the importance of Tyson's impartiality.

"With a judicial race, it doesn't matter if they're liberal or conservative," he said. "It matters that they are fair and impartial."

After the conclusion of the event, the candidates had a chance to mingle with the audience and speak to the locals.

Batchelor didn't have much to say about his campaign but casually remarked on his feelings about the election as he walked out the door.

"I hope to win, and I'm cautiously optimistic," he said.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.