Senate hopeful looks to surprise

Whiteld says he'll help country

Robert "Whit" Whitfield, the relatively unknown Republican candidate for the 23rd District of the N.C. Senate, is hoping to unseat heavily favored Democratic incumbent, Ellie Kinnaird, next week.

He filed his candidacy soon after losing in the Republican primaries to Todd Batchelor for the 4th District seat of the U.S. House.

"I believe that the majority of the people (in this district) are more conservative than their representatives," he said Sunday. "People ought to get a choice. Giving everyone a choice gets people more involved. A little opposition (to Kinnaird) should help everybody."

Whitfield was born April 3, 1947, in Durham. He is married to Randy Long Whitfield and has two children.

Whitfield's parents, Paul and Maggie Whitfield, earned the minimum wage while raising their family, making it necessary for him and his brothers to work for their own spending money.

His jobs at fast food establishments and local grocery stores taught him early on the importance of hard work and an education neither of his parents were afforded.

Whitfield still stands behind his belief that these were the best lessons he learned from his parents.

He attended East Carolina University on a partial track scholarship, but still worked, and graduated with a history degree in 1969.

He then received a master's degree in education from the University of Tennessee-Knoxville and went to law school at N.C. Central University. After college, he served in the U.S. Air Force and completed a tour in Vietnam.

Whitfield, who spends his free time training for marathons, works as an attorney with the Durham firm Browne, Flebotte, Wilson & Horn, PLLC and is a member of the Homestead Heights Baptist Church in Durham.

Whitfield was tapped to run against Kinnaird after the original Republican candidate, Kim James, withdrew for family reasons. He said he hopes to bring about a change in local politics.

Whitfield said he feels strongly about supporting issues such as an amendment to the N.C. Constitution banning same-sex marriage.

He also plans to improve the economy by lowering taxes for residents and businesses and is against a regional rail system that has been proposed for the Triangle.

"(There is) not enough environmental impact to be worth the cost of the light rail system," he said.

Whitfield proposed alternatives to the regional rail system, high traffic and environmental distress caused by transportation.

"We can improve roads and offer incentives such as high-occupancy car lanes and incentives for people to ride buses," he said.

Another issue Whitfield addressed is liberal bias on college campuses. He has sponsored a seminar for professors and students on the issue and stresses that he is fighting for open campuses with free speech on both sides.

He also intends to propose a bill that penalizes any college or university that denies anyone free speech or any other constitutional right.

Doug Biddy, chairman of the Orange County Republican Party, said Whitfield, whom he has known for 20 years, is a fine candidate.

"He would be a fresh and credible state senator to represent this area based on what he stands for," Biddy said. "He certainly has the education and the background, which is a good trait that the public is looking for in state senators."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.