Quorum trouble plagues leaders in long meeting

Low attendance prevented Student Congress members from solidifying a redistricting plan Tuesday after the Rules and Judiciary Committee had spent several hours hammering out ideas in preparation for debate.

The committee had planned to present each proposal for discussion as an amendment to the current arrangement during full Congress' last meeting of the semester.

Members ultimately decided that it would be best to address redistricting with more members present.

"I love useless banter as much as anyone else, but now's not the time," said Ethics Committee Chairman Parker Wiseman.

After reaching quorum, members voted to approve the current redistricting plan - which the Student Code requires to be evaluated every two years.

The Rules and Judiciary Committee is set to present redistricting proposals to full Congress again next semester.

During its meeting earlier last week, the committee devised a system of filling Congress seats reserved for graduate and professional students.

Graduate and professional students currently represent 39 percent of the student population, but year after year their Congress seats remain empty.

Instead of requiring graduate and professional students to represent each school separately, the committee proposed pooling all of the seats together and allowing representatives from any of the schools to represent all graduate students at the University.

Jen Bushman, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Federation, argued against such a measure at the beginning of Tuesday's meeting. She said that it is not Congress' job simply to fill empty seats, but to give voices to those students who aren't represented.

"The purpose of Congress is to represent the entire student body, and you should concentrate your energy on making that happen," she said.

Bushman said students in the School of Government most likely would fill vacancies but that such an arrangement could create a monopoly.

Committee member Trey Winslett questioned if it is better to leave seats unfilled or to allow graduate and professional students who are able to make the commitment to attend meetings and serve on Congress.

Bushman said that until Congress meetings are more efficient, those seats will remain empty.

She also said graduate and professional students juggle their time among many activities, including teaching, studying and working.

"If meetings become more efficient, then maybe you could solicit more help," she said.