Social college atmosphere might lead to poor eating habits, experts say

Online Exclusive

Freshman Patrick Turner's typical weeknight snack consists of multiple doughnuts, Pop Tarts and other sugary confections in the wee hours of the morning.

"I don't pay attention to what I eat at all," he said.

Although some students are aware of the benefits of healthy eating habits, the majority are not concerned with what they eat, said Jenny Favret, a registered dietitian and nutritionist at the Center for Healthy Student Behaviors.

There are more opportunities for social eating in a college environment, and many students eat unhealthy foods because that's what others are eating or they associate it with studying rather than with actual hunger.

She said the wide variety of foods offered in college dining halls, in contrast to a home environment in which parents dictate food choices, can be a problem as well.

A recent UNC study highlighted that a dramatic rise in soft drink consumption can have enormous health detriments.

In September, Barry Popkin, a UNC professor of nutrition, and Samara Joy Nielsen, a nutrition graduate student, conducted a study of beverage consumption that showed a 135 percent increase in soft drink consumption between 1977 and 2001.

The study also suggested that the increased soft drink consumption is a factor in obesity among Americans.

"I was a little surprised that soft drink consumption continued to go up," Popkin said. "This survey shows that students are consuming more soft drinks more often. This leads to increased calorie consumption, which is not healthy."

Instead of drinking soft drinks, Popkin suggests that students drink milk, which is a much healthier beverage.

"Young adults need calcium, and their bone density should be getting stronger," he said. "Drinking soft drinks doesn't promote strong bones and can lead to bone fractures."

Soft drink consumption among students averages about three to four soft drinks a day.

Senior biology major Erika Borgerding said she drinks about four soft drinks and tries to eat three meals a day, though the college schedule restricts opportunities.

"I studied abroad last year in Lancaster, England, and I cooked for myself there," she said. "Since I've been back, I eat out a lot and get a lot of take-out."

Increases in soft drink consumption are not the only problems in the dietary health of college students - overeating and unhealthy food choices also contribute to the dilemma.

Popkin said bad eating habits are never healthy, even in moderation.

"There's nothing good about soft drinks. They're basically sugar water, and students can't get filled when they drink them, so they continue to eat," he said. "There are no benefits of soft drinks, and there are lots of negatives."

Favret said soft drinks are not bad in moderation. They become unhealthy when they are consumed in excess or take the place of healthy beverages such as low-fat milk and water.

"Obviously, some students have soft drinks in more than moderation," she said.

Favret advises students to eat based on the food pyramid, making sure to include vegetables, fruit, refined grain items and low-fat meats.

"People have become more exposed to nutrition information, and they have an acute awareness of what they should be eating."

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.