MARY GRACE MILLER

News

Language enthusiasts meet, chat, conquer

For two years, George Morgan, the sales manager at the Bull's Head Bookshop, has met friends for dinner every other Thursday to talk about politics, books, movies and philosophy - in a language most people say has been dead for centuries. Scholars and clergymen have kept Latin alive on the written page well after the fall of the Roman Empire. But Morgan's group, which focuses on the spoken language, keeps the oral tradition alive. "All other languages have classes and meetings in their language, and we wanted to also," Morgan said.

News

Social college atmosphere might lead to poor eating habits, experts say

Freshman Patrick Turner's typical weeknight snack consists of multiple doughnuts, Pop Tarts and other sugary confections in the wee hours of the morning. "I don't pay attention to what I eat at all," he said. Although some students are aware of the benefits of healthy eating habits, the majority are not concerned with what they eat, said Jenny Favret, a registered dietitian and nutritionist at the Center for Healthy Student Behaviors.

News

Enterprising students keep eyes on the prize

CorrectionDue to a reporting error, the Nov. 10 article "Enterprising students keep eyes on the prize" states that the grand prize in the Carolina Challenge is $27,000. It should have stated that the total prize money is $27,000. The grand prize in each track of the challenge is about $7,000. Senior Adam Braxton's plan to prove that men actually like to shop is cloaked in secrecy. But revealing it might win him more than $27,000.

News

SRC beefs up class selection

After 40 minutes of cycling, sweating and stretching, Leslie Prochaska and 13 other members of the spinning class at the Student Recreation Center gathered their water bottles and towels and prepared to leave. "My lungs are exhausted," said Prochaska, a physics graduate student who attends the class regularly. "The class is usually what I expect, but it's never boring or mundane." The spinning class is one of several offered by the SRC this year.

More articles »