Citizens sound off at listening session

Concerns about a possible school system merger, property revaluations and taxes were among the issues discussed Tuesday night at the first of eight sessions area officials hope will strengthen relationships with their constituents.

Fifteen people came to voice their concerns to members of the Orange County Board of Commissioners during the two-hour listening session at the Southern Human Services Building.

The original idea for the sessions stems from a proposal by Moses Carey Jr., the commissioners’ chairman.

He said he wanted members of the community to be able to speak with commissioners in an informal, less intimidating setting.

Bobby Clapp of Chapel Hill said the discussion served that purpose.

“These sessions are much less intimidating than the formal ones,” Clapp said.

Barry Jacobs, the commissioners’ vice chairman, shared similar optimism about the session’s success.

“People came, they felt comfortable and they told us what they thought,” Jacobs said.

Clapp was one of several county residents who praised the commissioners for their work, though he reminded them that some issues, such as a potential merger of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City and Orange County school systems, are still ahead of the leaders.

Some citizens, including Robert Campbell, brought several concerns with them.

Campbell emphasized the need for programs to support youth in area neighborhoods, as well as concerns about the impact of new development on area infrastructure.

Others, like Robert Nutter, came just to listen. “I’m curious to see what the county commissioners are doing,” the 42-year resident of the county said. “I pay taxes in this county, and I like to see what they do with my money.”

Carey said he considered the meeting a success.

“We heard some novel ideas, and we will make sure that we share them with the other commissioners,” he said.

Tuesday’s meeting was the first in a series of sessions to be held throughout the year.

Jacobs said he and Carey plan to facilitate all meetings, though other commissioners are welcome to attend.

Due to open meetings laws, no more than two commissioners — less than a majority of the board — can participate in the discussion without turning it into a full-fledged board meeting.

The other listening sessions will be held on the following dates:

• Feb. 24 at the Schley Community Center Building
  • March 21 at the Orange Grove Community Center
  • April 18 at the Pleasant Green Community Center
  • May 16 at the Northern Orange Human Services Center
  • Aug. 9 at the Carrboro Century Center
  • Sept. 15 at the Efland Community Center
  • Oct. 5 at the Government Services Center

All meetings will start at 7 p.m. and are scheduled to last one hour, though Carey said every effort will be made to hear from all residents in attendance.