Little's defense destroys Miami

Sophomore stops ACC's top scorer

North Carolina’s Camille Little couldn’t explain the night-and-day difference between her performances against N.C. State and Miami.

There wasn’t a particular pep talk or event that helped her turn her game around, but it seemed as though there was a Little look-alike in Reynolds Coliseum on Friday.

“To me, I’ve been having a few bad games,” Little said. “I just try to stay positive and work a little harder.”

The sophomore shot 5-for-16 in the Jan. 9 loss to Maryland and 3-for-10 against the Wolfpack on Friday.

“I just told her to get her act in gear,” UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell said after Friday’s victory. “‘We believe in you, we’re going to get it to you, and you’re going to step it up,’” Hatchell added, reminding Little of her 2003-04 ACC Rookie of the Year award.

Little held Miami’s Tamara James to zero points in the first half of Monday’s game and to four points until Little’s exit late in the second half.

“(James is) the engine that makes them go,” Hatchell said. “I thought Camille did an outstanding job on her.”

James has averaged 24.5 points per game this season and shoots 52.6 percent from the field.

“They were doubling up when I caught the ball,” James said. “When I shot and drove, they were coming over. I basically had to dish off to other players.”

Hatchell wanted her starting forward to concentrate on her defensive presence.

“I told (Little), ‘I’ve seen you just shut people down even when you were a freshman last year,’” Hatchell said. “‘I just want you to play defense and rebound today and let the offense come to you.’”

And that’s exactly what Little did.

She led the team in defensive rebounds with six and added one block and three steals. Little currently has a team-high of 42 steals.

Her offensive effort came through just as Hatchell predicted, and Little tied for the team’s second-highest scorer with 15 points Monday, sinking all three of her free throws.

“She’s got a lot of presence out there, especially in the post,” said fellow sophomore Ivory Latta. “I just throw it to her, and I just go to the other side. (The coaches) tell me to relocate, but there’s no need because she’s going to score, and I’ve just got to get back on defense.

“She’s the total package.”

UNC’s overall defensive presence impressed Miami coach Ferne Labati.

“They’re attacking and when they’re in their attack mode, they’re very difficult to beat,” Labati said. “In the State game, there wasn’t that kind of pressure. We were hoping they’d have that same strategy today with us, but they’re at their best.”

While Labati cited the whole team as responsible for the change in defensive performance, it’s no coincidence that Little made a comeback from Friday’s game at N.C. State.

“Camille’s an intelligent player,” Hatchell said. “She just has that extra sense. She just understands the game.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.