'Pack snaps gymnasts' win streak

Considering the extremely close nature of the three contests between the North Carolina and N.C. State gymnastics teams this season, it seemed almost fitting that the Wolfpack handed UNC its first loss of the year.

While the Tar Heels (13-1-1) had to count a fall on the uneven bars, they managed to score a solid 195.025 on Sunday at Carmichael Auditorium. But the total was not enough to beat out N.C. State (11-3-1), which put up a score of 195.50.

"Certainly we want to outscore every opponent we face," said UNC coach Derek Galvin. "We don't like letting someone else outscore us, particularly in our own house. But State had their best meet, not of just this year, but of several years."

In Raleigh on Friday night, the two teams tied at a score of 194.475. It was the first time either program had ever exactly matched its competitor's score.

"I've never seen it before," Galvin said. "It's a great situation to be in, knowing that you've got a cross town rival that's going to push you."

The Tar Heels defeated the Wolfpack in their first meeting by two-tenths of a point at the Governors Cup on Feb. 5.

Despite the loss, the UNC squad was pleased with its final score, which was its third highest of the year.

"We'll take a 195," said senior Elisabeth Alsop. "We didn't have the best meet we've ever had, but I think we had a lot of improvements. ... (The score) was definitely good for what we did."

The event also marked the last time the seniors performed on their home floor. The group of Alsop, Olivia Trusty, Amy Williams and Morgan Stanley have experienced the four most successful seasons in program history, Galvin said.

Sophomore Christine Robella and junior Mikel Hester led UNC by placing first (39.325) and third (38.950) in the All-Around, respectively.

Robella tied Trusty for first place on the floor exercise with a score of 9.900, a season high for both.

Both Hester and Robella have been struggling with injuries this season. Hester has a torn rotator cuff, and Robella has an abdominal muscle injury.

"Mikel Hester and Christine Robella again were amazing," Galvin said. "Those (injuries) aren't going to get better until they stop competing and training this year, but they just keep battling through, and it's been a tremendous thing for the team."

Although UNC struggled on the balance beam Friday, the squad overcame some of its past difficulty and posted a solid score of 48.700 with the help of 9.80s from Robella and junior Courtney Bumpers.

After three rotations and two falls on the uneven bars, UNC trailed N.C. State by 0.725 as the Tar Heels headed into the floor exercise.

The Tar Heels managed to close the final score gap by posting a season-high 49.225 on the floor.

"We just need more preparation on the skills so we can focus on bringing more energy," Trusty said. "Once we do that in the gym this week, and being more confident that we can make things, then we can focus on the energy part and bring that in."

But the Tar Heels aren't getting hung up on their first loss. They're just using the showing as a building point for their final two regular season meets and the East Atlantic Gymnastics League Championships.

"This meet, we showed that we wanted it," Alsop said. "This week is when we start really working toward it."

Contact the Sports Editor  at sports@unc.edu.