Softball team jumps to 5-0 start

After scoring five runs in just the third inning Saturday, it looked as though East Tennessee State had North Carolina’s number.

Guess again.

The Tar Heels finished up a stellar opening weekend with two come-from-behind victories to claim the Triangle Classic tournament title, held at the UNC Softball complex, and spring to a 5-0 start.

“I was really proud of the team because you’re going to face adversity throughout the season,” said Coach Donna Papa. “And it showed me a lot of the character that they had facing that adversity.”

UNC found itself in trouble early Sunday in the second inning of a matchup against Virginia. After loading the bases with a two-out walk, Tar Heel pitcher Ashley Allen hit Jackie Greer with a pitch for the Cavaliers’ first run.

UVa. then put together another small run in the third, as their leadoff hitter reached on an error and then scored on a liner to left.

But that was all UVa. would get. In seemingly effortless fashion, UNC responded with a single to right from Erin Dudley, followed by another lined single to right by second-baseman Anna Evans that advanced Dudley to third.

Then Tar Heel Jaclyn Holden entered the batter’s box. As she had come through so many times during the weekend, Holden again blasted a double from Virginia’s Whitney Holstun off the wall in right-center field to plate both runners.

“I knew they were going to throw to me because Casey (Testa’s) behind me, and she’s a great hitter, so I just looked for my pitch and luckily they threw it to me,” Holden said.

But the Tar Heels weren’t finished. In the very next at bat, Testa smoked a line drive to left field, scoring Holden as North Carolina defeated Virginia 3-2.

Holden — in her first games back after redshirting last season because of an injury — crushed five doubles in the tournanment, including three in the Tar Heels’ 7-0 win against Temple on Friday on her way to an all-tournament team selection.

“It feels great to be out there,” Holden said. “My teammates are so supportive, and the coaches and the staff and the training room really helped me get back mentally and physically, so it feels great to be out there.”

Senior Jessica Young, who belted a two-run homer in the Tar Heels’ 7-5 turnarond victory against ETSU, and Cox also garnered all-tournament honors.

“(Cox) is a very competitive pitcher, and I knew that she would keep her compusure,” Papa said. “I didn’t even think about taking her out. I thought, ‘I know she is going to get it done.’”

Cox delivered three scoreless innings, only allowing one hit in Sunday’s game. After giving up five runs in the third inning against the Buccaneers Saturday, Cox slammed the door and gave the Tar Heels an oportunity to come back. Evans also added a solo homer to contribute to UNC’s win.

“We maintained really good composure after that inning,” Cox said. “We showed a lot of character and a lot of heart and fought back. I was really pleased with our team’s performance.”

UNC also posted an 8-0 win against UNC-Wilmington on Friday and a 4-1 victory versus Radford on Saturday.

“I think this is a great start to a season that we all predict is going to be one of our best,” Holden said. “So we’re getting ready right out of the shoot.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.