Nothing could stop Ivory Latta from coming up big for the North Carolina women’s basketball team the last time it met N.C. State at Reynolds Coliseum — not even being knocked around by opponents nearly a foot taller than her.

With about five minutes remaining and UNC down by three, Latta’s head served as the basketball when she was knocked to the ground in the paint.

But the sophomore guard was a perfect 10-of-10 from the free throw line and added 18 points to the 77-75 Tar Heel victory on Jan. 14.

Hitting her stride, Latta has scored 19 points or more in the last three games, all ACC matchups.

Latta is one good reason to assume that No. 8 UNC (21-3, 9-2 in the ACC) shouldn’t have too much trouble handling the No. 21 Wolfpack Saturday at 4 p.m. in the Smith Center.

But when you assume anything — well, you know what happens.

Many would argue, and rightly so, that the NCSU loss had a lot to do with Coach Kay Yow’s absence. It was the first game the Hall of Fame coach missed this season due to her battle against breast cancer.

“The first day you don’t ever hear Coach Yow’s voice on the floor, that’s a big difference,” said assistant coach Stephanie Glance after the game.

The ’Pack (17-5, 6-3) put on an impressive defensive show, as it held the Tar Heels to 31 percent from the field in the first half.

UNC rallied and pulled that percentage up in the second half. The consistent rookie, Erlana Larkins, was a key factor in the win and continues to be one in any game.

Larkins dominated the post, scoring 23 points and pulling down six rebounds. Overall, UNC scored 36 points in the paint, while NCSU only managed 16.

However, N.C. State went on to win six of its next seven games after facing North Carolina, including a last-minute victory at Miami — all the more reason UNC should not take Sunday’s game lightly. Yow has also returned to the sideline, having missed only two games.

N.C. State forward Khadijah Whittington will be a force to be reckoned with once again. The 6-foot-1 freshman scored her career-high of 20 points against UNC.

Her teammate, Billie McDowell, is skilled from behind the arc, with a 42.6 shooting percentage in ACC games.

But the Tar Heels might require an adjustment period when they face the Wolfpack. UNC hasn’t had a truly challenging opponent since it faced Duke on Jan. 24.

Wake Forest attempted to be a contender Wednesday night in Winston-Salem, when the Deacons led 53-48 with 13:38 remaining in the game. But the momentum didn’t last long as UNC pulled out a 9-point victory.

Regardless, the Smith Center’s energy worked for UNC against Duke, and the Tar Heels will once again test that variable on Sunday.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.