Tar Heels offense sparks two wins

North Carolina midfielder Jess Allen quickly recognized the two-on-one situation in front of her.

She drew the lone George Mason defender from the goal and flipped a pass to teammate Stephanie Scurachio -- who bounced the ball past the Patriot goalkeeper into the back of the net.

The offensive efficiency of the UNC women's lacrosse team was on display this weekend as the No. 8 Tar Heels defeated Temple 10-6 Friday and George Mason 10-3 Sunday at Fetzer Field.

"I was happy, obviously, with the win, and I know we can continue to get better," said UNC coach Jenny Levy. "I think as George Mason started playing harder we started playing harder, which is not really what you want, but it happened."

The Tar Heels (2-1) jumped to an early 2-0 lead in the first seven minutes with free position goals from Allen and Erica LaGrow.

The Patriots (0-1) then took control of the game and fought back to tie it at 2-2 -- but that would be as close as they would get. UNC's Nicki Barnes-Wagner scored two goals to give her team a halftime advantage.

George Mason's final goal of the game came in the first two minutes of the second half to close the gap to 4-3, but the Tar Heels quickly squashed any momentum the Patriots might have gained from the score.

UNC dominated the rest of the second half, scoring six more goals, including two from Scurachio and one more from Allen.

"We knew in the second half that George Mason was really hungry for it," Scurachio said. "We knew that if we wanted to come out with the 'W' that our attack had to come out much more intense. And that's what we did."

Even though the UNC offensive effort was impressive, the team's defensive game was also noteworthy. UNC caused 15 of George Mason's 16 turnovers and only allowed the Patriots to score on two of their eight free position shots.

The Tar Heels also dominated Temple (0-1) on Friday. UNC freshman Christina Juras recorded a hat trick, and Scurachio chipped in two goals in the victory.

Even though UNC destroyed both teams this weekend, the team still said it has room for improvement.

"We know we need to come out and not play at a lower level in the first half," Barnes-Wagner said. "Especially in the first five minutes, we really need to step it up and just go really, really hard like we finish the game."

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.