UNC battles for 13th victory

Despite adding two more victories at Saturday’s meet and registering the greatest start to a season in North Carolina gymnastics history, coach Derek Galvin and his Tar Heels insist their unblemished record is the farthest thought from their minds.

“We really haven’t made that an issue,” Galvin said. “Our objective is to continue to improve our execution — that’s going to lead to better scores.”

It’s hard to imagine how much better the scores can get. Against William & Mary and East Atlantic Gymnastics League rival Rutgers, North Carolina placed in the top three in every event and boasted the meet’s top four all-around competitors.

In running their record to 13-0 (5-0), the Tar Heels totaled a season-best 195.85 team score, and senior Olivia Trusty placed first in every event on the afternoon. Rutgers finished second with 192.10 and William and Mary — bested by the Tar Heels for the third time this season — posted a 191.15.

Further indication of North Carolina’s dominance was the absence of a single fall that counted against their score. Saturday’s meet was the first since the 2004 Southeast Regional in which the Tar Heels accomplished such a feat.

“We haven’t had a meet where we’ve hit all our routines,” said senior Elisabeth Alsop. “We did that today, and that made the difference.”

The ever-improving Alsop tallied a career-high 9.90 on bars, a mark coming only two weeks after she set a then-personal best of 9.825.

“She has really battled for this team this season,” Galvin said. “The improvement that we’ve seen is a result of her hard work.”

North Carolina continued its traditionally stellar performance on floor exercise, setting a season-high team mark of 49.125. The nation’s top squad on floor last season, the Tar Heels swept the top five spots at Saturday’s meet.

Though the Tar Heels seemingly cruised to victory, their wins did not come without some hardship.

The usually consistent All-American Courtney Bumpers had an uncharacteristic fall during her beam routine, resulting in a 15th-place finish in the event. The Tar Heel junior would rebound to finish fourth in the all-around.

Sophomore Christine Robella, overcoming a painful abdominal muscle strain that has hampered her for the entire season, was third in the all-around. She posted a 9.850 on bars, the event that puts the most pressure on her injury.

“I gave it my best,” Robella said. “It’s amazing how much you use your stomach, and you don’t realize it.”

Robella’s resiliency was one of many instances of selflessness that Galvin believes have been catalysts for his team’s hot start.

“We need her bar routine, but bars are one of the things that aggravate her strained muscle the most,” Galvin said. “But she does it for the team. She’s a tough kid.”

North Carolina competes next on Friday at the Wolfpack Invitational in Raleigh. N.C. State then comes to Carmichael Auditorium two days later for a dual meet with the Tar Heels.

“We’re psyched because State is like our second home,” said Alsop. “We love to go in there, and we love to rub it in their face.”

If the Tar Heels’ record thus far is any indication, that shouldn’t be a problem.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.