UNC crushes Cavs to finish home season 15-0

Latta scores 19 points in rout

With less than a minute remaining in the North Carolina women’s basketball game against Virginia on Thursday, senior Kenya McBee stole the ball from a Cavalier immediately following her failed three-point attempt.

McBee hammered a pass to junior Tiffany Tucker, who put up the final two points of the No. 8 Tar Heels’ 89-60 victory.

They were the 47th and 48th points in Tucker’s career so far; her regular-season play will end Sunday at Duke.

Tucker, although a junior, has played for four years and will not be returning next season, even though she has one more year of eligibility because of past injuries.

Her final shot of the game revived the crowd during the rout and epitomized a Senior Night moment for any athlete.

“I was just happy,” said sophomore Ivory Latta. “Seeing Tiffany and all the other seniors is great for me. I know whenever I’m out there, they show me a lot of love, so when I’m on the bench, I want to show them a lot of love.”

Senior Nikita Bell, who ranks second in the ACC for steals, added 13 points for the victory and a game-high four steals.

“It’s the same emotions that have been going on since the semester started,” Bell said. “I knew it was coming. I didn’t cry or get teary eyed. … I just wanted to go out with a bang, and we did.”

Although not a senior — but probably the seniors’ most spirited supporter — Latta led UNC (23-3, 11-2 in the ACC) with 19 points and erased any suggestions of a shooting slump that might have been raised after her 20 percent performance from the field against N.C. State on Sunday.

“My teammates are finding me on the break, and I give them all the credit,” Latta said. “I take a little part of it, but I think (my shooting) has improved a lot.”

Latta was a perfect 4-for-4 from beyond the arc and shot 77.8 percent from the field.

But one of Latta’s most reliable post players did not have as stellar a game. Freshman Erlana Larkins totaled six points Thursday, yet she averages 15.5 per game.

UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell ascribed Larkins’ unusual performance to an elbow injury in the first half.

Hatchell also thought Virginia’s game was uncharacteristic.

“They were just a little bit out of sync,” Hatchell said. “(UVa.’s LaTonya) Blue is their leader, and if she doesn’t get going, they probably struggle a little bit.”

The Tar Heels held Blue, one of UVa.’s top scorers, to seven points.

“It’s unfortunate that we didn’t step up and match their intensity (Thursday),” said Virginia coach Debbie Ryan. “But I think that you have to move on and be ready for what comes next. … We may see them again.”

UNC relied on its usual fast-break style of play and scored 33 points off of turnovers.

But Hatchell said the Tar Heels were out-rebounded. Although both teams were balanced for total rebounds, the Cavaliers (18-9, 7-6) had seven more offensive rebounds than the Tar Heels.

As usual, North Carolina met its opponent with athleticism and muscle.

“You have to be able to play a very physical game when you’re here,” Ryan said. “We just did not adjust. … I thought we were well prepared and started the game off fine. It just seemed to me that every shot we took, we got bumped and hit.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.