Young athletes sacrifice health to play in games

I wanted to be the first woman in the NBA.

Sure, it sounds weird now after the establishment of the WNBA and subsequent women’s leagues, but at seven years old, I had attended enough Connecticut basketball games that it had become an obsession.

I got butterflies when the starting lineups were read, envisioning that one day my name would be announced over the loudspeaker as I ran in between my teammates, slapping their hands, and that I would be hitting the memorable last-second shot.

To make this dream a reality, I learned early that I had to work for it. School teams, travel teams and AAU teams ran concurrently, filling my afternoons and weekends, making me better. I attended summer camps and leagues, knowing stopping could mean missing a beat.

By junior year, my high school basketball team was No. 1 in its conference. I battled with two other teammates for starting shooting guard, already hampered by the fact that I was the shortest player on the team.

Then I started to feel a tweak in my right foot. Though I had to ease up at times, I continued to play.

The tweak turned into a twinge, and teammates began to notice my hobbling. But still, I pressed on, assuming that I was just sore or not stretched enough. Finally, the twinge turned into pain until, during one practice, I was in so much agony that a teammate had to escort me to the trainer.

I had been playing with a stress fracture for more than two months. When this diagnosis was finally made, I was forced to sit out the rest of the season and postseason.

My experience resembles what many doctors around the country consider a growing trend in youth athletics: overaggresiveness in youth sports.

Dr. Lyle Micheli, a leader in the field of youth sports injuries, told the New York Times that 25 years ago, a mere 10 percent of his patients came to him with injuries resulting from overaggression. Today, that number has skyrocketed to 70 percent.

Injuries related to overuse include stress fractures, growth plate disorders, cracked kneecaps and frayed heel tendons — injuries normally experienced by adults.

“By playing one sport year-round, there is no rest and recovery for the overused parts of their body,” Micheli told the Times. “Parents think they are maximizing their child’s chances by concentrating on one sport. The results are often not what they expected.”

Young athletes often cease to complain because, much like I did, they believe the pain they feel is simply soreness or the price for working hard.

New training programs are being developed to correct the muscle imbalances brought on by overuse in a single sport, and an upcoming public service campaign will help educate young athletes about the problem, but more is needed.

Coaches need to be more responsible about setting boundaries as to how far players should go before hurting themselves. Playing through minor injuries could create much greater injuries later on, and breaks along year-round sports can help limit this possibility.

The NBA might not be in a young athlete’s future.

But it sure would be nice if they made it through a high school season.

Contact Rachel Soder at soder@email.unc.edu.