Local domestic violence reports up by 16 percent

Police saw 526 cases during last year

Domestic violence is on the rise in the area, according to a recent police report.

The Chapel Hill Police Department announced this week that reported domestic dispute cases increased by 16 percent in 2004 — amounting to 526 cases during that time.

Assaults occurred in 175 of the cases and resulted in 138 related arrests, the report states.

The Family Violence Prevention Center of Orange County is working in conjunction with the department in its efforts to prevent the rise from continuing.

Melissa Radcliffe, community services coordinator at the center, said that although the increase is concerning, it also could result from many factors — some of which aren’t negative.

“It could just be an increase in numbers,” she said.

“There could be more community awareness, more reporting or more witnesses.”

Domestic violence has been the subject of many recent incidents.

On Monday, Vicente Jimenez Martinez was charged with one felony count of attempted murder in the first degree in a domestic dispute with his ex-girlfriend. A domestic-related strangulation also was reported Monday.

The murder-suicide last November at the Friday Center also was the result of domestic violence.

Noting the importance of the strong working relationship between police and the center, Radcliffe said it is important to remember that for each of the reported domestic violence cases in 2004, there were several that were not reported.

“For some, the legal system is not an option,” Radcliffe said. “A lot of people are not interested in contacting the police. They either prefer a support group or to call the hot line in the middle of the night.”

Radcliffe said victims often turn to support groups rather than police because the groups offer a much broader definition of domestic violence than the legal system.

“Our definition of domestic violence includes everything that has some sort of exertion of power or control over another,” she said.

“That includes physical, sexual, emotional or financial threats. These have all been going on for generations.”

Radcliffe said the main purpose of the groups is to provide services to the victims of domestic violence, particularly those outside legal jurisdiction.

“We will let them know their options to prevent further instances, but we want them to know that they do not have to continue to be abused,” Radcliffe said.

The police department has also taken a role in the domestic violence crackdown by providing services to victims and their families through its Crisis Intervention Unit and specially trained officers.

Such officers aid victims in their victim response training and related legal issues, as well as investigating family violence crimes.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide