Franklin filled with fascinating faces

Missy Julian-Fox, owner of Alexander Julian’s, has a panoramic view of Franklin Street from her storefront window — and it provides the perfect opportunity to people-watch.

Julian-Fox, who grew up in Chapel Hill, has become accustomed to the physical changes of the area. But as the local atmosphere has changed, its vitality has remained the same.

“You knew all the people in all the stores on Franklin Street,” Julian-Fox said.

Those were the days of her childhood, when downtown had a small-town appeal and business owners regularly were seen out in town.

“Because the store owners were privately owned, you knew the store by its owner,” she said. “You knew these people as ‘yes, sir’ or ‘yes, ma’am,’ but you always knew them.”

Roland Giduz, a resident of Chapel Hill since infancy and a 1948 UNC graduate, has written several books and newspaper columns featuring people who walked along Franklin Street during his childhood and college days.

Giduz said he especially remembers Dr. Lynwood Sutton, the first owner of Sutton’s Drug Store, and Bruce Strowd, who opened Strowd Motor Company at the corner of Columbia and Franklin streets in 1914 and reportedly sold the first automobile in Chapel Hill.

But as time passed and more people and chain-owned businesses moved into the area, some say the hometown charm has disappeared.

“The old-time businesses are gone,” said Doug Eyre, a local historian. “The main complaint of anyone who’s lived here for a while is, ‘You know, when I walked up the block to the post office, I didn’t know a single person.’”

But the street continues to draw in personalities from near and far.

Frank Taylor Wright can be seen most days of the week dressed head to toe in a vibrant tuxedo with a matching hat and cane.

In an October interview with The Daily Tar Heel, Wright said that on most days, he takes a bus from his Durham home to Franklin Street to pace along in his flashy attire.

“Some people are born with a gift,” he said. “I have a gift of dressing. You can’t beat me in dressing.”

Wright, who said he is “about 86 years old,” owns more than 40 suits, varying in colors from bright yellow to hot pink.

Julian-Fox said she once allowed a local photographer to use her store for a photo shoot of Wright.

“He’s a self-made celebrity,” Eyre said.

Others, such as the “flower ladies,” have been an institution on Franklin Street for decades.

The ladies, many of whom are related, have set up shop since the ’50s or earlier, selling an array of homegrown flowers.

“The flower ladies were just a wonderful part of Chapel Hill that I grew up with,” said Julian-Fox, adding that there would be almost 10 ladies selling flowers outside the Bank of America building.

But in the ’60s, when street peddling became popular, the Chapel Hill Town Council passed a ban on selling items on streets or sidewalks.

Giduz, a council member at the time, said the ban unintentionally threatened the flower ladies, who later were allowed to sell on the bank’s private property.

“They add a great deal to the spirit of the town,” Giduz said.

Despite the changes, some say the essence of the street is still upheld by the eclectic mix of students, locals, panhandlers and musicians who are attracted to the area.

“Chapel Hill is an attractive, creative place,” Giduz said.

“Chapel Hill is a dynamic place with a spirit that will always be here.”

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.