Another member of the North Carolina basketball family has turned pro.

Tar Heel Sports Network broadcaster Mick Mixon has accepted an offer to become the play-by-play voice of the NFL’s Carolina Panthers, a source close to the negotiations said Sunday.

No contract has been signed, and an announcement is not immediately forthcoming, but Mixon will assume his new position for the 2005 season.

Mixon, who graduated from UNC in 1980, just completed his 16th season as the color analyst for the Tar Heels’ football and men’s basketball contests.

He has worked as an instructor in the University’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication, where he teaches sportswriting seminars.

Mixon occasionally freelanced for Fox Sports Net — he broadcast the ACC field hockey championship this season — and he writes for Tar Heel Monthly magazine.

He won the N.C. Sportscaster of the Year Award in 1999 and 2004 and is an honorary member of the ACC Football Officials Association.

Mixon joined the Tar Heel Sports Network in 1989 after a stint as sports director at WIS Radio in Columbia, S.C.

He also has worked as the play-by-play voice of minor-league baseball’s Maine Guides and as the sports director of WCGC Radio in Belmont.

According to a report in The Charlotte Observer, the Panthers also were considering former Detroit Lions play-by-play broadcaster Mark Champion for their vacant broadcasting position.

The job became available when the Panthers declined to renew the contract of Bill Rosinski, who had served as the team’s play-by-play man since the team’s inception in 1995.

According to the Observer’s report, the Panthers’ veteran radio voice, Jim Szoke, will remain part of the broadcast team for the upcoming season.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.