UNC battles in tough league

When looking at the North Carolina men’s tennis team, nobody would argue that this team is a shadow of the UNC squad that finished in the top 20 in the country last year.

After being ranked in the top 15 in the preseason polls, it has been a pretty disheartening season so far, as UNC has slipped to No. 40 in the rankings and holds a 14-7 record, with just a 4-4 mark in ACC play.

Against No. 3 Virginia on Sunday, No. 1 singles player Raian Luchici likely didn’t play his best match of the season, but that probably wouldn’t have even made a difference as he was crushed 6-2, 6-0 by the No. 11 player in the country.

After the Tar Heels graduated their clear-cut No. 1 and first team All-American Nick Monroe, Luchici has been forced to leave the comforting spot of No. 4 singles — where he thrived last season — and step up against the big boys and play in the top slot.

While Luchici has been able to hold his own, even earning a No. 80 national ranking, he’s not as talented as many of his opponents, and his 10-9 record as the No. 1 player just hasn’t been enough to put the Tar Heels into the upper echelon of the nation’s teams.

Virginia, on the other hand, has been dominating its opponents all season, as they have only dropped two matches all season — both to the No. 1 team in the nation, Baylor.

With that impressive of a squad, it’s no surprise that some are saying the Cavaliers will challenge for the national championship.

And things don’t get any easier for the Tar Heels, either. They host No. 5 Duke today — a team that they haven’t defeated since before the second Clinton administration.

Against Duke, the Tar Heels will try to avoid a three-game losing streak — they fell Friday to Wake Forest before losing to UVa.

“We have as good a chance as anybody,” Brad Pomeroy said about UNC’s chances in the ACC Tournament. “I know this team. This team is not going to quit. We will be right there with every team, and I think we have a good chance.”

But just like basketball and a handful of other sports, the ACC is the toughest conference in the country for men’s tennis.

It has two top five teams — Virginia and Duke — and a total of nine teams ranked in the top 50 in the nation.

While the team is saying all of the right things and probably honestly believes it has a chance to take the ACC Tournament crown, it will take a miracle to defeat a team as talented as Virginia.

One thing that you can’t fault the Tar Heels for is their effort.

Even after the match had been decided against Virginia, Pomeroy was still cursing at himself, throwing his racket and busting his rear end in his No. 2 singles match.

“A couple points here or there, and it would have been mine,” Pomeroy said after his 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 loss. “It just broke his way today.”

Even with such a daunting task ahead of them, UNC will continue to fight hard against Duke and the rest of the ACC for the remainder of the year.

Because if they don’t, it’s going to be a long, difficult and disappointing journey.

Contact David Moses at dmoses@email.unc.edu.