Banquet honors UNC sports elite

Dorrance, Durham and Lam recognized

Most of the people inducted into the N.C. Sports Hall of Fame are retired from athletics by the time they’re honored. At the annual banquet Thursday in Raleigh, an exception was made for the “Voice of the Tar Heels” and one of the University’s most successful coaches.

Radio announcer Woody Durham and UNC women’s soccer coach Anson Dorrance were inducted for their prevailing contributions to sports in North Carolina.

Reese Edwards, executive director of the N.C. Sports Hall of Fame, said both men are representative of the ideal balance that is vital to the selection process. “We look for athletic achievements that have brought honor not only to the athletes but to the state as well,” he said.

Former UNC wrestling coach Bill Lam was also honored last week with a Lifetime Service to Wrestling Award, presented by the state chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame.

Lam retired in 2003 after winning 15 ACC titles during his 30-year career at UNC and was named National Coach of the Year in 1982 and mentored five NCAA champions.

Lam said he’s honored by his induction, but any award given to him was made possible by his athletes. “You don’t really win awards; other people win ’em for you,” he said.

Dorrance also said he’s appreciative of his Hall of Fame induction. “It meant all kinds of things on all kinds of different levels,” he said.

He won 18 NCAA championships during his 26-year tenure at UNC and earned the National Coach of the Year honor six times.

“You have to go with Anson’s achievements on the soccer field, not only at North Carolina, but nationally and internationally as well,” Edwards said.

Dorrance said he was thrilled to be inducted with his friend Durham, the radio announcer who has broadcast more than 1,500 UNC football and basketball games so far during his career.

“I think it’s very rare that you find a broadcaster who has ties to one specific university such as UNC for a 34-year period,” Edwards said.

As a part of the induction ceremony Thursday, Dorrance and Durham were both asked to leave a memento for the hall’s memorabilia collection.

Durham chose to leave his score sheet and media credentials from the 2005 NCAA men’s basketball championship game. Dorrance was unaware of the custom but said the hall’s board of directors can have anything they desire.

“I’ll give them anything they want.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.