Jablonski's first year fostered communication

One year ago, the Division of Student Affairs was in flux.

Then the University hired Margaret Jablonski.

Officials said the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs provides much-needed stability to the post and revitalized the division through internal reorganization and external relations.

Friday marks the one-year anniversary of her appointment — an announcement that was the result of a 15-month nationwide hunt by two search committees.

Provost Robert Shelton said the end result was worth the wait.

“The qualities that we saw in her in the interview process have proven correct,” he said. “She’s a very engaged person; she’s very open and accessible.”

Jablonski, who left her job as dean for campus life at Brown University for UNC, wasted no time in shaking up the division.

In January, she rolled out significant changes that created several new positions, including two associate vice chancellors, a senior associate dean of students and a director of development and alumni affairs. The move was more fluid than Jablonski had hoped, and she said it’s created increased responsiveness.

She also made a concerted effort to bolster the division’s presence on campus by holding weekly lunch meetings with members of more than 100 student organizations.

“She’s someone that students can trust and that has demonstrated time and time again that she really cares about what students think,” said Matt Calabria, former student body president.

The meetings allowed Jablonski to get used to the University, but she said she didn’t know that UNC was truly her home until the spring. “It was a combination of just working with a lot of student leaders on a variety of issues and then, frankly, going to the Final Four.”

The work that Jablonski completed shouldn’t be taken lightly, said Virginia Carson, director of the Campus Y. “She came into a job where expectations were high.There was a real need to pull people together and chart a direction.”

Carson applauded Jablonski’s ability to follow through on promises. In her first UNC Board of Trustees meeting, Jablonski voiced support for renovating the historic Campus Y building. “You see more from what people do than from what they say, and I have seen her actions match her words,” Carson said.

Jablonski has been given ample opportunity to rise to the occasion this year with meningitis cases, a hate crime on Franklin Street, and protestors storming into South Building demanding the right for workers to unionize. “We’re always prepared to deal with the unexpected,” Jablonski said.

With one academic year under her belt, she’s not slowing down. Her continuing efforts are what Shelton pinpointed as a key to her success. “It’s just sort of the spirit that she’s brought to it,’’ he said.

Contact the University Editor at udesk@unc.edu