Legislators mull over wage hike

Plan would raise base wages $3.35

A possible increase in the state minimum wage is creating intense debate in the N.C. General Assembly and across North Carolina.

Introduced to the house on Feb. 21, the bill would create a steady increase of the state minimum wage during the next three years to reach $8.50/hr. by Labor Day of 2007.

The house bill calling for the wage hike might find itself under consideration in the next commerce committee meeting, said Sorien Schmidt, legislative director at the N.C. Justice Center.

A hearing held last week on the legislation left open the possibility for a vote, she added.

Committee co-chairman Rep. Stephen LaRoque, R-Lenoir, said he dislikes the bill and hopes it does not come to a vote.

“It puts us at an economic disadvantage with neighboring states," he said. “It’s probably one of the worst bills I’ve seen in the legislature.”

But the increase would greatly benefit many individuals and families across the state, said Rep. Jennifer Weiss, D-Wake, a co-sponsor of the bill.

“Wages have really lost pace with the cost of living,” she said. “Folks need to be able to earn enough to live off of.

“We’re not talking about huge salaries here; we’re just talking about a living wage.”

An increase in the minimum wage might keep some businesses out of North Carolina, said Rep. Doug Vinson, R-Mecklenburg, a commerce committee member.

“We all have jobs; we’re all trying to make a living, but those jobs are provided by employers that are trying to do business in our state,” Vinson said. “Businesses are by nature profit creation entities; their goal is not necessarily to provide jobs.”

Carlos Rodon, sales support manager of J.C. Penney at the Streets at Southpoint, said the proposed minimum wage increase could adversely affect the store, and it would force them to cut jobs.

“We would have less associates on the floor and wouldn’t have the optimum level of customer service,” Rodon said.

But businesses should consider supporting the legislation, said Rep. Linda Coleman, D-Wake, who co-sponsored the bill.

“I just hope businesses will take a second look at this and put the employees first and understand the impact it has on the families,” Coleman said.

“We need people to make a living off of one job.”

Rep. Deborah Ross, D-Wake, co-sponsor of the bill, said she realizes that the bill has many obstacles to overcome before it can pass the committee and the house.

She noted it might not pass during this session of the General Assembly.

“(The bill) changes how we do business in North Carolina, and it’s always difficult to get bills like that through quickly,” Ross said.

“But that doesn’t mean we shouldn't keep trying.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.