Officials work to finalize budget

Committee looks to combine proposals

Since the revelation of the conference committees last week, members have been meeting non-stop in an effort to finalize the state’s 2005-06 budget.

Committee members are discussing all of the differences between the N.C. House and Senate budgets, attempting to find enough common ground to allow for compromise.

While some specifics might have been discussed, officials have worked out only a broader view of the budget thus far, said Senate Majority Leader Tony Rand, D-Cumberland.

“We are looking at the differences between the two budgets,” Rand said.

“We’ve been trying to define the big picture.”

Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, said one aspect of the budget is concerning.

“Both have to work on tax structure,” she said, noting that some proposed tax cuts would benefit only wealthy citizens.

But as budget talks continue within the legislature, efforts are being made to pass a continuing resolution to maintain the current budget during the month of July.

The resolution must be passed before July 1 to ensure the continuation of government functions within the state.

Some parts of the resolution have met scrutiny from particular legislators.

Senate Minority Leader Phil Berger, R-Rockingham, attempted to pass an amendment to the resolution that would keep taxes from increasing during July.

“If all we are going to do is continue government, then we do not need to increase taxes,” Berger said in a debate on the Senate floor.

The taxes are needed to satisfy increasing needs of the state, said Sen. David Hoyle, D-Gaston.

He noted that the amendment would block money needed to fund increases in the number of students in public schools, a 12 percent increase in medicaid and increases for community colleges and universities.

“This is not a good idea,” Hoyle said. “I would say it is reckless.”

Berger responded, saying the increase in taxes does not go toward additional funding for education and medicaid.

A motion to table the amendment passed by a 26-20 vote blocking the amendment from the resolution.

Sen. Hugh Webster, R-Alamance, also made comments of disapproval while on the Senate floor.

“It’s not a continuing resolution; it’s a tax increase,” he said.

The attempt to amend the resolution was expected, said House Majority Leader Joe Hackney, D-Orange.

“That’s just political posturing,” he said.

The continuing resolution eventually passed the Senate by a 29-20 vote and has been sent to the House for concurrence.

As for the final budget, Senate President Pro Tem Marc Basnight, D-Dare, said that it still is too soon for specifics and that it could be quite some time before it reaches fruition.

“We hope to get it completed as soon as possible.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.