One-man show explores relationship issues

Online Exclusive

Relationships get the old college try in a new one-man theatrical production on campus in July.

In “A Guy’s Tale,” writer/actor Adam Bergeron and director Bryan Cohen, both recent graduates of UNC, examine the male perspective on the ins and outs of intimacy between men and women.

The production is the first by Cohen’s up-start theater group, the Cap & Gown Theater Company, whose goal is to break “college theater” out of college and show the rest of the world the kind of energy and creativity that can fuel a college production, Cohen said.

Built around a sensitive, every-man character named Mike, “A Guy’s Tale” examines its protagonist from the inception of a new relationship through to its demise.

The play offers 13 meditative monologues, each addressing some aspect of sex and relationships from the perspective of “the guy.” Though the production eschews machismo, Cohen said, it touches on everything from drunken hook-ups to the male affinity for pornography.

The show transitions between each section with audio recordings of “on-the-street” interviews that Cohen conducted with local citizens.

In each “Real Sex” -esque interview, an unidentified bystander answers a question about some aspect of relationships (for example, “How does one come to understand women?”) Each recording serves as an introduction to the topic and themes that will be addressed in the monologue that follows.

Cohen said the interviews would add even more relevance for a local audience to a subject that he thinks everyone should explore.

Bergeron started writing the show about two years ago after reading a friend’s away message on AOL Instant Messenger in which a girl proudly referred to herself and her friends as “sluts.”

“Guys can’t call girls sluts,” he said, adding that the away message served as inspiration for a meditation on the double standard pent up in the word.

He wrote a second monologue dealing with one of his own relationships and showed it to UNC professor Joan Darling, who suggested he develop the two pieces into a one-man show.

Bergeron then began a collaborative effort with Cohen to write “A Guy’s Tale.”

Calling the show semiautobiographical, he said he drew on many of his experiences in his own relationship at the time to write the play.

“Bryan definitely helped in the writing process,” Bergeron said.

He often talked to Cohen about the problems in his own relationship, he added. “Bryan would constantly say, ‘You need to write this stuff down.’”

Bergeron said the material was, thus, obviously very personal for him. While he allowed himself to maintain a certain amount of creative license in fitting his own experiences to the show’s themes, he said the play was stronger for its basis in reality.

“What makes it so good is the brutal honesty,” he said.

Previews of the show will be offered July 6 and July 7 in the auditorium of the Hanes Art Center. Anyone with a valid student ID (not just from UNC) will get in for $3; all nonstudents must pay $5.

Performances will run from July 8 to July 14 and from July 18 to July 20 in Hamilton 100. Admission to these shows will be $5 for students and $10 for all nonstudents.

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.