Frustrating finale fuels women's soccer in 2005

No returning player on the North Carolina women’s soccer team can easily forget last season’s 1-0 loss to Santa Clara in the third round of the NCAA Tournament. It was that loss that destroyed a 22-year streak of Final Four appearances.

“We’ve talked about it a lot and we realize that the measure of a good team is how we can come back this season after a loss like we suffered from last season,” said senior co-captain Lori Chalupny.

Anchored by nine returning seniors and 10 players who have starting experience, the Tar Heels are once again contenders for a 19th national championship.

“I think with such a talented and competitive class with such fine leadership, that always benefits a team in an incredibly positive way,” Coach Anson Dorrance said of the strong senior class.

“Unquestionably I think those are going to be great weapons for us come ACC and NCAA Tournament time.”

UNC lost only one forward, Anne Morrell, to graduation and returns one of the most potent offenses in the country that includes senior co-captain Lindsay Tarpley, junior Heather O’Reilly, who was a first-team All-American in 2004 and junior Elizabeth Guess.

“Like every other school in the country we want to win the national championship, and I think so far things have started off really, really well,” Tarpley said. “Basically the entire team came in fit and ready to go this preseason, so I think the sky’s the limit this year.”

Even though Tarpley has a stress fracture, the Olympic gold medalist and 2003 National Player of the Year should be back for UNC’s match against San Francisco on Sept. 9. Sophomore Jaime Gilbert will also see time at the striker position throughout the season, as she scored 11 goals last year — second-highest on the team.

North Carolina lost three midfielders — Mary McDowell, Anne Felts and Sara Randolph — to graduation, but the Tar Heels still have plenty of players to fill those vacated spots. Chalupny, a first-team All-American last season, will control the center midfield, while senior Kacey White, who led the Tar Heels in assists last year, will rule the right side.

Freshman Yael Averbuch has already won a starting position at holding midfield, and junior Jennifer Perkins has earned a starting spot at left midfield.

“Talentwise we’re just unbelievable,” Chalupny said. “I feel like we don’t have any holes in the field. I think every position is filled with a player who is more than capable.

“We have a lot of players who have played internationally on the international teams, and I think we’ve been able to bring that experience back to the team, so I think that is pretty good.”

The defensive line will be shuffled around this year after an off-season full of injuries. Junior center back Jessica Maxwell tore her ACL in the off-season and is one of three players who will be out for the season with such an injury. Freshman goalkeeper Ashlyn Harris also tore her ACL and a fourth ACL tear ended junior defender Amy Steadman’s soccer career.

Despite the loss of players, Tarpley said she isn’t concerned.

“There’s going to be challenges,” Tarpley said, “but to be honest with you, I’m very confident we’re going to overcome them. I think we have a very strong, talented team. I think we have this incredible desire right now to show the country the level we play at and how good we truly are.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.