Auction targets growing domestic violence problem

Online exclusive

Items ranging from artwork to Spanish lessons were up for auction Thursday to combat domestic violence.

The Silent No More Auction spearheaded a series of events recognizing October's national Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

About 100 participants filled the Aurora Restaurant, at 1350 Raleigh Road, which was closed to regular business for the evening.

Dr. Carol King, an area psychologist who treats domestic abuse victims, browsed a set of handblown wine glasses valued at $120.

Bidders skimmed tables with airplane tickets, vacation packages, and North Carolina pottery, which were donated by local businesses.

There was also a legal will for a married couple up for bid.

Proceeds from the event will go to two of the area's domestic violence counseling organizations: UNC Hospitals Beacon Child and Family Program, and the Family Violence Prevention Center of Orange County.

Diana Bass, program director at UNC Hospitals, said domestic abuse is a learned behavior, which is an ongoing problem for the area.

"Family violence is a public health problem," she said. "It's a cultural problem and our culture is still agreeing to let it happen."

More than 500 domestic dispute cases were reported to the Chapel Hill Police Department in 2004 - a 16 percent increase since 2003 - according to a police report issued in March. Assaults made up 175 of these cases.

Chapel Hill Police domestic violence and sexual assault specialist, Sabrina Garcia said the trend continues, and the department held weekly, four-hour meetings during September to educate officers - including the police chief - about how to deal with domestic abuse cases.

"We are going to surpass 2004," she said. "It's becoming more lethal, more complex."

Bass said the change has been noticeable.

"Locally, it's a problem," Bass said. "More and more people are seeking out our services." The Beacon program trains hospital staff how to ask patients about domestic abuse.

Melissa Radcliff, the community services coordinator at the center, said she has noticed an increase in demand for the center's services.

"Our hotline is busy," she said. "All of our groups are busy, so it is a real problem."

But she added that increased reports also might stem from heightened awareness and the tendency for victims to seek help.

"People think that just because we're in Chapel Hill it doesn't happen," she said. "But it's out there, and it's happening."

The groups offer services to victims, which range from call-in counseling to courtroom advice.

Ronnie Bower, community education coordinator at the center said a full-time staff of five, along with two part-time employees and more than 40 volunteers monitor 24-hour crisis lines, lead group discussions and advise victims in civil and criminal cases.

"We have a myriad of services available," she said.

Thursday's auction symbolizes the community's concern for domestic abuse, Radcliff said.

"We are not a community that will stand for this."