Chabay looks to spread passion

Morehead forums start with chemist

Ilan Chabay's dream of developing a hands-on science learning experience to create a desire for learning came to fruition in 1983.

Twenty years later, Chabay is looking toward a new opportunity at UNC for sharing his passion for science.

He presented his vision for the Morehead Planetarium and Science Center to nearly 50 campus community members Thursday afternoon at the first of the candidate forums for a new director.

Chabay, one of four individuals vying for the director position, discussed the role of science within an informal educational setting.

"Small centers can be a big lever in serving the community and the larger society as a whole," Chabay explained.

The Morehead's previous director, Holden Thorp, stepped down in June.

During his forum, Chabay stressed the impact of scientific advancements not only on the classroom, but on society.

Basic scientific knowledge is crucial for an individual when making public and personal policy decisions, he said.

Chabay said this is how science becomes a key resource to the responsible public.

"Intrigue, insight and inspiration draw the individual into the exploratory element of the planetarium's programs," he said.

Some visitors enter the Morehead facilities with a science degree, while others have completed only the third grade, Chabay noted.

He said it is the responsibility of the center to engage all audiences equally.

As a direct result, interest generates questions that lead to the building blocks of learning, he said.

"Communication is not to occur from the top down," Chabay said. "One must feed others from the fountain of knowledge through active involvement of all participants."

The new director will oversee a staff of 14 full-time and more than 60 student employees while promoting the public image of the University.

The job calls for an individual with expertise in museum management and an understanding of University policies and procedures, among other qualities.

As the director, the individual selected also will be held responsible for fundraising efforts in relation to the capital improvements to the Morehead building.

Denise Young, director of education programs for the planetarium, who also is on the selection committee, said it is necessary for the selected candidate to be a convincing communicator with a passion for science that draws others in.

Chabay received his bachelor of arts degree from Clark University with a concentration in chemistry focusing on intellectual history.

He received his doctorate in chemical physics from the University of Chicago.

One of the many awards Chabay has received is the Alan B. Leviton Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Science Education of Children and Youth - given to a person who demonstrates playfulness, artistry and scientific integrity.

The next candidate forum will be held Monday at 4 p.m. in the Morehead faculty lounge, when David Chesebrough, president and CEO of the Buffalo Museum of Science, will interview for the position.