Fundraiser has a date with Carolina Covenant

Twenty-three students stood in the Pit on Wednesday night, waiting to be sold to the highest bidder.

Bidding at the annual Date Auction sponsored by Masala, a coalition of multicultural groups, started at $5 and went as high as $75.

"I went at the beginning, but when people were bidding more and more later on, I thought, 'I should have been bid for more,'" said Liz Linzan, a sophomore who was auctioned off.

Although Linzan said she was slightly disappointed for going at merely $7, she had no regrets because she participated for the experience, as well as to support a good cause.

The group raised nearly $800 during the event which will be given to the Carolina Covenant, a need-based scholarship program.

Masala is the first student organization ever to make a donation to the Carolina Covenant.

"I'm very excited about the event," said Ann Trollinger, senior assistant director for the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid. "It's nice to have support since the number of students receiving scholarships is growing."

Every year, the group donates to a different organization, varying from a food drive in Puerto Rico to a musical outreach program on campus.

Masala's special events coordinators Varsha Gadani and Ashmita Chatterjee said that during the past three years the most a student has been auctioned for was $90 and the average was $40.

Date packages consisting of certificates donated by businesses on Franklin Street and at the Streets of Southpoint, were given based on the amount of money the bidder was willing to spend.

The highest bidder received a dinner at Top of the Hill on Franklin Street and an autographed picture of UNC Men's Basketball Coach Roy Williams - one of Carolina Covenant's most generous contributors, Trollinger said.

Jigna Patel, president of Masala, said friends usually bid on their friends, but one year, the auction started a relationship.

Hanna Gordola, vice president of Masala, and senior Carr Harkrader, both served as emcees for the auction.

Gordola said she thinks the event is a good way to raise money and have fun while increasing awareness of the organization.

"It's good for Masala since it makes it more visible among students."