Intangibles could swing game to UNC

Game and Time: Wisconsin at North Carolina. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. Saturday.

Site: Kenan Stadium.

TV/Radio: The game will be televised on ESPN2. The Tar Heel Sports Network will provide radio coverage; the game can be heard locally on WCHL, 1360-AM, and WRDU, 106.1-FM.

Records: Wisconsin is 2-0. North Carolina is 0-1.

Series: Wisconsin leads 1-0.

Personnel update: Wisconsin - DT Justin Ostrowski (right knee injury) is not expected to play. North Carolina - C Ben Lemming (right shoulder injury) is out.

The Key Matchup: The North Carolina running attack against the Wisconsin front seven.

In 2004, Wisconsin had a solid rush defense, surrendering 124 yards per game on the ground. This season, the Badgers have bettered that, allowing 62 rushing yards -in two games combined - against Bowling Green and Temple.

That statistic could be misleading, however. Bowling Green predominantly relies on a passing attack. And Temple - well, the Owls were projected to be horrendous before losing five starters to academic ineligibility.

And there is reason to suggest the Badger front seven could be vulnerable - Wisconsin lost seven defensive starters from its team a year ago and had four defensive linemen selected in the NFL draft.

But it remains to be seen whether UNC can capitalize on its opponent's possible run-defense deficiency.

Freshman Cooter Arnold earned the start at tailback for the Tar Heels against Georgia Tech last weekend, alternating series with sophomore Barrington Edwards.Neither back could generate a spark after the first quarter, combining for a total of 50 yards on 16 carries.

If it doesn't change by Saturday, it could lead to disaster for an offense that needs to put up points to keep up with a Badger attack so potent that head coach John Bunting joked that Wisconsin scored 1,000 points in its first two games (actually a mere 121).

Final analysis/prediction: It would appear that many of the intangibles favor the Tar Heels in their home opener.

The Badgers played their first two games in the familiar confounds of Camp Randall Stadium, where they finished a perfect 6-0 last season.

On the other hand, UW was blown out twice on the road to end last season.

Wisconsin also could have its focus looking a bit past Kenan Stadium - the Badgers will open their Big Ten slate against Michigan at home next week.

The Tar Heels, meanwhile, must treat this game as a must-win, with the schedule growing increasingly ominous as the season wears on. Factor in the team's success under the Kenan Stadium lights - a perfect 3-0 last season - and a victory becomes a legitimate possibility.

Those lights will be focused squarely on quarterback Matt Baker. On this night, expect the senior to shine.

The Bottom Line: North Carolina 31, Wisconsin 27.

- Compiled by Jacob Karabell.