Lemming injury puts Bell in the spotlight

Steven Bell only narrowly edged Ben Lemming for the starting spot at center in the final week or two of training camp, and North Carolina Coach John Bunting promised both players would see their share of snaps at the position.

But once Lemming went down with a right shoulder injury against Georgia Tech, Bell found himself in sole possession of one of the most important jobs on the field.

The loss of Lemming, one of the offensive line's most versatile players, depletes the unit's depth at more than one position.

"It forces our hand a little bit, with some of those young freshmen," Bunting said at his weekly press conference Tuesday. "Kyle Jolly and Garrett Reynolds - those are good players. I'd like to get through the season and not play them, keep them for five years."

Lemming will be evaluated on a week-to-week basis, while Arthur Smith, a senior who has started one game in his career, now becomes the Tar Heels' backup center.

"It's time," Bunting said. "He's a very bright kid, he's an intense kid, he's a great team player, and now it's his chance to go out there and play some football."

UNC enjoys the nightlife

It goes without saying that the Tar Heels enjoyed playing under the lights last season. Their three most dramatic victories came in night games at home - Georgia Tech, N.C. State and the epic upset of Miami.

"The crowd's into the game, and you play well when the crowd's into the game," said linebacker Doug Justice. "We feed off their excitement."

Coming off a disappointing loss to the Yellow Jackets in Atlanta, the electricity of a night game at Kenan Stadium could provide a critical edge Saturday against Wisconsin.

"We want to have a rabid crowd here on Saturday evening," Bunting said. "I want them in their seats. I want them ready to go when we kick off, because I think that will be to our advantage."

The cheers only help, he was quick to add, when they come at the appropriate moments of the game.

"You don't cheer real loud when your offense is out there - you're quiet," he said. "You cheer when their offense is out there. You all can get that out to the fans, let them know that for me, all right?"

Players pitch in for relief

Through the donation of their per-diem money from Saturday's trip to Atlanta - as well as a little extra - North Carolina football players raised $3,500 for relief efforts in the Gulf Coast in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

"I think that's absolutely terrific, and it just shows you what kind of kids we have in our program," said Bunting, who promised to match the money his players raised.

The UNC coaching staff, in addition to Bunting's gift, will donate $3,300 to the relief efforts in Louisiana and Mississippi.

Student-athletes and Red Cross volunteers also will accept donations from fans during the first quarter of Saturday's game.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.