Man crosses U.S. to raise funds

John Buoniconti's bookbag is adorned with collector's pins from 14 states and a weathered picture of his parents on their wedding day.

The collage of souvenirs remind Buoniconti, 30, of the journey he is traveling - one that won't stop until his size 13s have made footprints in each of the 48 contiguous states.

In three years, Buoniconti will have walked 16,000 miles to raise a goal of $5 million for uninsured and under-insured cancer patients.

"We focus directly on getting cancer patients treatments they can't afford," he says. "Until the health care system changes and until the cure is found, people need help today."

You might notice him trekking through the Triangle this week. On Sunday, he stopped in Durham after a 12-mile walk from Mebane.

North Carolina is the 14th state he's reached, and he's walked more than 1,775 miles thus far.

But it's more than a charitable walk. For Buoniconti, the project, called The Big Walk, fulfills a dedication to addressing the financial struggles against a disease that claimed the lives of several of his family members.

When Buoniconti was 8 years old, he lost his mother Gayle to a 6 1/2-year battle against leukemia. Less than two years later, his father, John, passed away as a result of small-cell lung cancer. Later, he learned that all of his father's siblings have battled cancer.

But perhaps the biggest shock came in the mail when Buoniconti was just 10 years old.

"I got a bill in the mail for $1.2 million for my mother's treatments," he says.

Buoniconti, who has participated in charity walks since he was a child, decided to dedicate a larger part of his life to raising money for those affected by the disease.

In 2001, Big John's Team was created to raise money for people in Buoniconti's home state of Colorado. But that wasn't enough.

"I realized I just wanted to help people in other states," he says.

So to raise awareness and funds for cancer patients across the country, The Big Walk was created.

"In January of this year, we quit our jobs, sold our cars and left our home," Buoniconti says. "We basically left everything we had to make this possible."

The 16,000-mile journey began March 26 in Augusta, Maine. The walk will culminate in San Diego on April 27, 2008.

His wife, Heather Buoniconti, drives their RV about 5 miles ahead and picks him up when he's finished his average stroll of 15 miles each day.

Most of the time they sleep in their RV at campgrounds, churches or parking lots. Sometimes, a hotel donates a room to the couple. In the mornings, Buoniconti starts where he left off.

So far, about $76,500 has been donated to the 501(c)(3) nonprofit, and funds have been placed into accounts in 18 states.

The program has helped seven people, and about $35,000 has been given in assistance. Two applications are pending in separate states.

"The feeling of helping people survive is the best paycheck you can get," Buoniconti says. "I wouldn't be out here doing it if I didn't think we would reach that goal."

Whenever the temperature is too hot or steep hills challenge his muscles, Buoniconti looks to memories of his family for inspiration.

"(My mother) could fight cancer for six years," he says. "I can walk for three years."

Perhaps the most triumphant day was the day he visited his parents' grave site in Massachusetts.

"It just so happens that I was retiring my first pair of sneakers," he says.

And as he left those sneakers and a bouquet of roses by the grave site, for the first time a smile stretched across his face and he wept tears of joy.

"I just had an overwhelming feeling of pride," he says.

The stories he's heard and the survivors he's met are all the motivation he needs to keep moving.

"It makes the rest of the day walking with sore feet worth it."

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.