School unites for Habitat

Several hundred Kenan-Flagler Business School students and faculty members traded their textbooks for tools at the kickoff celebration for the Habitat for Humanity project Monday afternoon.

The event sought to bring volunteers from all areas of the school to join in an effort to better the Orange County community.

The project, which will run from Oct. 15 to Dec. 17, marks the first time a single department or school from UNC has taken on the sponsorship of an entire Habitat house.

Susan Levy, executive director of Habitat for Humanity of Orange County, said she was inspired to see the partnership between the business school and the community service program.

"This a wonderful development for us," she said. "Not only will it provide funding, but also deepen our partnership with the University."

Levy introduced the Shah family - for whom the business school will build a home - at the event.

Habitat for Humanity selected the Shah family from a pool of applicants based on need, willingness to become partners in the program and their ability to repay the no-interest mortgage.

As a Habitat family, the Shahs are expected to pay $1,000 in closing costs as well as invest 325 hours of labor in the construction of their home and others' homes.

Habitat for Humanity provides a zero-interest mortgage of $67,500. The family will pay $350 a month to allow the organization to continue to construct houses for other area families.

The business school has a commitment of $30,000, half of the project's total cost, in addition to the workforce.

The project developed from a decadelong fundraising effort by business school members through the annual MBA golf tournament. They raised $20,000 at the event last spring, leaving the remaining $10,000 to be raised through other various fundraisers.

Habitat for Humanity International was founded in 1976 and a chapter has existed at UNC for several years. UNC Habitat, which has more than 2,000 members has built 18 houses in the area.

Levy said she was optimistic about the possibility of an annual building project.

"It is our hope that the Kenan-Flagler partnership will inspire other schools within the University to take this challenge."