Shutting down QB is key for UNC

Game and Time: Utah at North Carolina. Kickoff is at 1:30 p.m. Saturday.

Site: Kenan Stadium

TV/Radio: The Tar Heel Sports Network will provide video coverage; the game can be heard locally on WCHL, 1360-AM, and WRDU, 106.1-FM.

Records: Utah is 3-1. North Carolina is 1-2.

Series: Utah leads 1-0.

Personnel Update: Utah - LB Malakai Mokofisi (suspension) is out. North Carolina - C Ben Lemming (right shoulder injury) is out.

The Key Matchup: Utah QB Brian Johnson against the North Carolina front seven.

In North Carolina's 31-24 win against N.C. State last week, the Tar Heels used heavy pressure to sack State QB Jay Davis six times and shut down the Wolfpack running attack.

But the Tar Heels face a two-headed monster this week in Utah QB Brian Johnson. In just four games, the sophomore has used a strong arm and quick feet to compile 1,170 total yards and 10 touchdowns.

The logical thing to do against an inexperienced quarterback like Johnson is apply pressure, but this strategy has been unsuccessful for the Utes' opponents thus far. Utah's spread offense includes the triple and speed options, providing an outlet for Johnson to improvise.

If UNC can build on the improving abilities of its front seven, the team should be able to contain Johnson's attempts to catalyze the Utes' scoring attack. Otherwise, the efficient play of the Utah quarterback again will doom the Tar Heels.

Final analysis/prediction: After last season's embarrassing 46-16 loss in Salt Lake City, the Tar Heels are poised for vengeance. Fortunately UNC won't have to worry about Alex Smith, who terrorized the Tar Heels for 341 passing yards and five scores in last year's matchup. But the difference in this year's game might be the ground attack.

In Utah's lone loss this season, the Utes allowed 228 yards on the ground in a 23-20 overtime loss to TCU. The Tar Heels will need a similar performance from tailbacks Barrington Edwards and Cooter Arnold, who gave UNC the pivotal rushing attack it had been missing with 168 combined yards in last week's win.

On the other side of the ball, North Carolina's defense has proven its durability in the first three games, registering 10 sacks and giving the offense ample opportunities to capitalize with its key third- and fourth-down stops.

Although UNC's defensive unit will have its hands full with Johnson, North Carolina appears to be hitting its stride just in time for victory in this grudge match.

The Bottom Line: North Carolina 28, Utah 24.

-Compiled by Brandon Parker