Speaker to share research findings

UNC professor to speak in December

Seniors graduating this December will be sent into the real world after a commencement speech by Etta Pisano, Kenan professor of radiology and biomedical engineering.

Pisano, who also is director of the Biomedical Research Imaging Center and a member of the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, recently received national accolades for her work in breast cancer prevention research.

She led a research team that showed that the use of digital mammography technology can detect cancer more effectively than traditional screen film mammography for certain groups of women.

"I think she's someone who is very profound, especially because of her breakthrough research on breast cancer," said Senior Class President Bobby Whisnant, a member of the speaker selection committee.

Faculty Chairwoman Judith Wegner, who also serves on the committee, said she is excited that students from all disciplines will have the opportunity to hear Pisano speak.

"I think Dr. Pisano is outstanding," Wegner said. "I know that sometimes the students, many of whom are coming from arts and humanities, may not know her, - but I think they'll be very glad to hear from her."

Pisano said she was invited early this summer to speak at Fall Commencement on Dec. 18 in the Smith Center.

"Of course I was very honored, pleased, and flattered that the committee thought that I was an appropriate choice to speak at graduation," she said.

Whisnant said the committee is still working to select a speaker for Spring Commencement, but he declined to provide further details.

Last year, the speaker committee revealed its choice for Spring Commencement - Harvard University professor and chaplain Peter Gomes - just days after making its choice for Fall Commencement public.

Pisano said she is thinking about speaking about the balance between family and work - an issue that she believes is of interest to graduates.

"I have four children," she said. "I'm very active in the community and I have my work, so that's very important for me."

George Lensing, an English professor and director of the Office of Distinguished Scholarships, gave the fall address last year.

Pisano received her undergraduate degree in philosophy from Dartmouth College and attended medical school at Duke University. She completed her medical residency at Harvard University.

"I was inspired to go into women's health research because of the death of my own mother," she said. "She died when I was in high school, so I wanted to do something to help other families who face those same difficulties."

Pisano has been a member of the UNC faculty for 16 years.

"I love being at a public university," she said. "The fact that we teach students from all over the state, take care of patients from all over the state, the fact that we serve the state - that's very important."

Pisano also said the accessibility to education is an element of the University that she loves.

"If you can apply and be accepted, you can study here, whether or not you can pay," Pisano said.

She has heard a number of commencement and special event speakers, she said, and she hopes she will be able to leave a lasting impression on her audience.

"If anything, I just want to say something that means something to the graduates and their families," Pisano said. "I don't want to be meaningless or forgotten, which I've seen happen to speakers many times."