UNC readies for emotional rivalry

Many people would prefer to have the North Carolina-N.C. State football game late in the year, to culminate the teams' seasons with what many fans consider the state's most important gridiron rivalry.

Instead, the two teams will meet this Saturday, the earliest date the two UNC-system schools have clashed since 1989.

"I'd like to play them at the end of the year," said senior defensive tackle Chase Page. "But we'll play them first game of the season if they want."

Scheduling aside, Saturday's game is one that the Tar Heels can ill afford to lose if they hope to stay afloat in the ACC.

Despite showing promise in a season-opening 27-21 loss at Georgia Tech, last week's defeat at the hands of Wisconsin left UNC desperately needing a victory, especially with road dates against No. 9 Louisville, No. 12 Miami and No. 4 Virginia Tech looming.

"To say that we're starving for a win would probably be an understatement," said UNC coach John Bunting.

But the Wolfpack could pose problems for Bunting's squad.

While NCSU does not feature a workhorse running back in the mold of Wisconsin's Brian Calhoun, the Wolfpack likely will rotate three or four players into its backfield.

One of those athletes is freshman Toney Baker, who started and rushed for 85 yards and scored three touchdowns - all in the first half - in NCSU's 54-10 romp against Eastern Kentucky last weekend.

The Wolfpack defense, meanwhile, finished No. 1 in the country in yards per game allowed last season and returns its entire defensive front.

"I have a great deal of respect for those defensive ends, and the defense tackle - (John) McCargo - he is a beast in there," Bunting said. "The one thing we do know is they're going to come after you."

Last year, though, the Tar Heel offense had marked success against the Wolfpack. UNC accumulated 356 total yards - the second-highest total NCSU allowed all season - and tallied 30 points.

And those points nearly were not enough, as former N.C. State running back T.A. McLendon fumbled at the goal line on the game's final play, ensuring an epic 30-24 UNC victory that sent Kenan Stadium into pandemonium.

This year, however, the Tar Heels must travel east on I-40 to Carter-Finley Stadium, where a sea of red and the sounds of wolves await.

"We've had a couple of Wolfpack howls over the loudspeakers (in practice) to get us ready," Page said. "They do that howl thing every two seconds over there."

And while UNC players will attempt to take the game in stride, it's difficult to discard the emotional nature of the matchup.

"State is definitely the biggest game of the year for us," said wide receiver Wallace Wright. "It's the rivalry everyone comes to see."

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.