Bloated records muddy old feats

As Louisville was putting its final stamp on a 69-14 shellacking of the Tar Heels on Saturday, North Carolina fans had to be thinking, "it can't get much worse than this."

Well, they were right. The loss featured the most points ever surrendered by a Tar Heel football team in the program's (mostly) proud 117-year history.

But a fairly recent phenomenon spanning college football has forever skewed the record books - making it impractical to compare Saturday's game to UNC's worst loss, a 66-0 drubbing at the hands of Virginia during the Taft administration.

An offensive explosion beginning about a decade ago has resulted in college football's record book having more and more records from the 1990s and later - rendering previous milestones pretty much incomparable and passe.

Absent from the tops of the lists are some of the game's all-time greats such as Stanford's John Elway and SMU's Doak Walker. In their place stand Houston's forgettable Dave Klingler and Wisconsin's Ron Dayne.

In fact, the majority of college football's marquee records were set within the last couple of years by players now rounding out rosters in European leagues or regaling the local set with tales of their past glory in 7-Eleven parking lots.

The record for most yards passing in a career is 17,072, and it's not held by a Marino, Montana or one of three Mannings. Timmy Chang set the mark last year while at the University of Hawaii. He wasn't selected in April's NFL Draft.

In 2003 someone named B.J. Symons threw the most touchdown passes in a single season, 57, at Texas Tech. This is Symons' second year on the Houston Texans and he hasn't seen the field yet.

Taylor Stubblefield's 316 receptions at Purdue are the most ever in a career by a wide receiver. He accomplished the feat from 2001-04. Marvin Harrison caught a mere 135 in four years at Syracuse.

And it's Quentin Griffin, not Ohio State great Archie Griffin, who set the record for most 100-yard rushing games in a season with 12 in 2002.

Given the current state of college football, competitive teams are forced to run up scores, play more games and leave stars on the field in blowouts in order to impress the pollsters and computers that decide who gets into the big bowl games.

And coaches of lesser programs view offensive gimmicks such as no-huddle sets and pass-heavy attacks that inflate statistics as the only ways to put fans in seats and talented kids in jerseys.

The Tar Heels were victims Saturday of a team playing to impress. No. 19 Louisville is competing for a top-tier bowl and will unmercifully steamroll any team in its way.

Statistically, the 69 points allowed by North Carolina last weekend will stand painfully at the top of the list for defensive futility, but it shouldn't be considered the worst defeat in program history.

Considering that the program has seen 117 years of football, it's safe to assume that game was played already.

Contact Matt Estreich at estreich@email.unc.edu