Hold 'em tournament raises funds, spirits despite low turnout

Online exclusive

Stacking chips and shuffling decks, more than 50 students spent their Friday evening raising bets at Sigma Chi's Hold 'Em Poker Tournament.

The tournament, which was held to raise money for Hurricane Katrina relief, raised $1,050 and was put together in less than three weeks by the fraternity's philanthropy chairman, Doug Dyer.

Although members of the fraternity hoped to raise about $2,500, other events on campus and bad weather affected the participation, Dyer said.

Only half of the 100 expected students attended.

"There would have probably been more people if it didn't rain," said Chaz Littlejohn, a junior economics major. "Since my friend and I put up a Hold 'Em (tournament) for a hunger charity, I came out to see how Sigma Chi does it."

The event included a cookout at 4 p.m. and poker at 6 p.m.

The cookout was $5 per plate and the buy-in for the poker game was $15 for $13 worth of chips.

"By holding the event, people will have the opportunity to feel good about donating to the cause while having a good time," said Dyer.

"I saw a flyer and decided to come to have fun," said Bryan Fisher, a junior. "I didn't come expecting to win since there are time constraints to the game, which makes it more about luck than talent."

Sigma Chi collaborated with the Erin Anderson Fund, which matched every dollar raised and will donate the $2,100 to underprivileged children in New Orleans.

Out of the 53 participants, 19 took prizes home, which ranged from a night for two at the Carolina Inn's deluxe suites, worth $350, to a free car wash and T-shirt, together worth $30.

Fraternity members asked Chapel Hill businesses to contribute prizes to the tournament and raffle ticket drawing.

Shorty's Bar and Grill donated $100 to the event and several other business such as Jersey Mike's Subs also made contributions.

"We donated because it was for a good cause," said Shorty's co-owner Tony Cash. "Also, since we just opened two weeks ago, we want exposure and campus is a great place for that."

First-place winner, junior economics major Eric Chappell, received two Independence Air tickets to anywhere the airline flies. The grand prize was donated by Sigma Chi President Amir Barzin.

At nearly 8 p.m., a raffle was drawn by a female participant for the chance to win $250 cash. Barzin was the winner.

"Every ticket is a dollar, and I bought 20," Barzin said. "It feels good winning, and I'm just really good at raffles."

This past weekend was the only feasible weekend for the fraternity to hold the event since its members must prepare for their next fundraiser, Barzin said.

From the end of October to Nov. 5, Sigma Chi will be hosting Derby Days, their annual Children's Miracle Network fundraiser.

Barzin said it is the second largest fundraiser on campus, and the fraternity raised more than $30,000 during last year's event.