McGill's return buried by blowout

Tailback provides hope for run game

A school-record 69 points allowed. A 55-point final deficit. A 36-minute scoreless drought.

North Carolina's demoralizing loss to Louisville on Saturday yielded several alarming numbers that will undoubtedly loom large in the Tar Heels' minds during the upcoming bye week. But it might be one of the lowest totals from the game's box score that holds the greatest significance for the team.

Ronnie McGill's 26 rushing yards brought little production on the field aside from a two-yard score, but the tally at least signals the return of the powerful tailback who has the ability to spark North Carolina's struggling backfield.

"It was great to get Ronnie back and get some significant action in there, and that should help us down the way," said North Carolina coach John Bunting. "We've got six games coming up and I do believe we still could become a very good ball team."

Besides the obvious need to stop future opposition from blowing up the scoreboard - literally, fireworks went off after every Louisville point Saturday - the Tar Heels must develop a consistently effective running game in order to reach Bunting's predicted potential.

In UNC's two wins this season against N.C. State and Utah, the tandem of Barrington Edwards and Cooter Arnold has pounded out 120 rushing yards per game. On the other hand, North Carolina's three losses have yielded just 75.3 yards per game on the ground.

Despite the fact that McGill missed the first four games of the season with a torn pectoral muscle and was wearing extra protection that limited his mobility, Bunting displayed great confidence in his junior running back from the get-go.

After McGill took his first carry for five yards up the middle, the Tar Heels placed the ball in the rusher's hands for five of the next seven plays - the last of which resulted in his first touchdown in just his fourth minute of action this season.

The junior showed his experience in that early drive, and said that even though it was his first appearance of the season, he was not thinking about the injury.

"I didn't have any jitters because the first time I carried the ball was at (the age of) nine, so I've been doing it for a long time and it's no different if you are coming back from injury," he said.

"It felt good to be out there besides losing by 55 points."

McGill finished the game with 12 carries - a number that might have been higher had the Cardinals' explosive offense not put the game out of reach for the Tar Heels by halftime, forcing them to focus on the passing game.

Given the impact of McGill's play Saturday it appears that he will take over the brunt of the rushing responsibilities after the week of rest.

His presence alone helped lead UNC's backfield to just its second 100-yard game and third rushing touchdown of the year.

But that was little consolation for the Tar Heels, who are left looking for answers and amnesia after their historic defeat.

And they hope McGill's return to full-time duty will make them forget about their rushing woes.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.