Tar Heels battle in Blacksburg

UNC squeaks past Virginia Tech despite 25 turnovers

BLACKSBURG, Va. - One second can seem like a world of time, and no team knows that better than Virginia Tech, which lost a heartbreaker to Duke on a halfcourt buzzer-beater last month.

So as Hokies forward Deron Washington launched a fadeaway 3-pointer to try to tie his team's contest against No. 20 North Carolina in the final second, UNC's David Noel made sure to defend Washington with caution.

"I was just saying, 'Don't go in, don't go in,' and told everybody not to foul them," Noel said. "If they had to make a halfcourt shot to tie the game, then so be it, but no dumb fouls."

Washington's shot fell just short, answering Noel's prayer and allowing the Tar Heels to escape with a 64-61 win at Cassell Coliseum on Tuesday.

North Carolina (10-2, 2-0 in the ACC) overcame a 25-turnover night and sluggish offensive play with clutch free throws, key rebounds and a steady effort on the defensive end.

"It's weird to look at the stat sheet and how we can win with 25 turnovers, but I loved our guys' poise after the first four minutes of the second half," said UNC coach Roy Williams. "The first four minutes of the second half were about as miserable as it could possibly be, but when we didn't turn it over we had good poise and made shots."

Williams let his team know just how miserable he felt after that four-minute stint by making a mass substitution and lighting into his starters during an early timeout. Six turnovers on the Tar Heels' first seven possessions opened the door for the Hokies (10-6, 0-3) to start the half with a 7-0 run and regain the lead.

But UNC responded, as Noel, Tyler Hansbrough and Wes Miller provided exceptional inside-outside play by scoring the team's next 15 points and helping to create a 51-48 lead with nine minutes remaining.

In the game's final frantic moments, the trio continued to play a key role. With 15 seconds left and UNC up by two, Miller flung a 3-pointer to beat the shot clock, but it fell short. Noel kept the ball alive until Reyshawn Terry grabbed it and was fouled.

Terry missed the front end of a one-and-one, but Hansbrough swooped in for the rebound and was fouled. The freshman forward's streak of 21 consecutive free throws had ended earlier in the game, but Hansbrough coolly sank both attempts, starting a new streak and putting the Tar Heels up for good.

"Free throws are something I've been working on the last few games. I've seen the importance of making them at clutch times," said Hansbrough, who had 20 points and nine rebounds. "Now I have a lot more confidence when I step to the line and it paid off."

The resilience of the Tar Heels also showed up in the game's opening moments. Hokies guard Wynton Witherspoon led his squad to a 10-point lead in the first five minutes, prompting Williams to call timeout and deliver a tongue-lashing to his players.

The Tar Heels responded with a 16-1 run that snatched the lead from the Hokies, mounting a comeback similar to the one they would stage in the second half.

North Carolina's aplomb was even more impressive considering the fact that Noel, the team's leader, was limited to just 19 minutes because of foul trouble. And although they struggled with turnovers, the Tar Heels showed the poise and toughness of a defending national champion rather than the growing pains of a young squad.

"(Playing well without Noel) was about the most impressive part to the game and I feel a lot more comfortable now with us playing without him," Williams said.

"You're going to have bad stretches, but you can't belabor the point. You've got to stick with it because you can't change what's already been done and that's what we did to get the win."

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.