For Major League draft hopefuls, tomorrow's another day

Online Exclusive

Atlanta Braves pitcher John Smoltz (22nd-1985). San Diego Padres catcher Mike Piazza (62nd-1988). Houston Astros pitcher Andy Pettitte (22nd-1990). New York Yankees catcher Jorge Posada (24th-1990). St. Louis Cardinals closer Jason Isringhausen (44th-1991). Seattle Mariners first baseman Richie Sexson (24th-1993). New York Mets catcher Paul Lo Duca (25th-1993). Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle (38th-1998). Of those eight, six have been to the World Series, and Smoltz, Pettitte, Posada and Buerhle have won. So, while Cox and Woodard certainly aren't guaranteed anything from the positions in which they were drafted, the history of the draft proves that no one else is guaranteed anything, either. UNC boasted the No.1 pick of the 1984 draft in the form of right-handed phenom Scott Bankhead. After going 11-0 with a 1.60 earned run average in his senior year at North Carolina, Bankhead was playing for the Kansas City Royals by 1986, only to be traded to Seattle in December of that year, where injuries began to ruin his career. It's also possible for scouts to misjudge a player. Tom Ferrick, scouting for the Royals in 1978, said that all one prospect needed was "pitching experience in pro ball" and added speed, and he would have "good pitching potential." The prospect was Hall of Fame infielder Cal Ripken Jr. Another scout, Rex Carr, scouted a 6-foot-1, 195-pound right-hander in 1966 and deduced that Hall of Famer Tom Seaver had "a chance to be a fair pitcher" but that he needed "help with his curve" and labeled him as a risky draft pick. You just never know. All things considered, second-day draft picks are a long shot to successfully navigate through the minor leagues. Just don't forget that, as with Day 1 of the draft, there's always tomorrow. Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.