Carson promotes student vote

Student Body President Eve Carson continued her efforts of encouraging students to vote when she cast her ballot Tuesday at the U.S. post office early-voting station on Franklin Street.

Carson said she is working to increase student awareness and enthusiasm about voting in this year’s Orange County municipal elections. Election day is Nov. 6.

“Officials’ decisions and ideas can have much bearing on the University,” Carson said. “So it’s really important for you to come vote.”

Tuesday was the first of two events inviting students to meet their president and vote using the One-Stop No Excuse voting program.

One-Stop voting allows voters to cast their ballots early at designated locations and, if necessary, to register at the same time.

According to Barry Garner, the director of the Orange County Board of Elections, 38 residents between the ages of 18 and 22 have voted thus far in the current election of 497 total ballots cast.

In the 2005 municipal elections, that age group cast a total of 238 ballots. Carson said she wants to reach that number by getting the word out to students.

“Publicity has ranged from informational e-mails to Facebook invites to listserv e-mails,” Carson said.

Earlier this year, Carson said she worked to keep the voting location close to campus. The Morehead Planetarium voting site wasn’t available this year because of an exhibit, and Board of Elections officials considered moving the spot off campus to Homestead Road.

Carson said she wants students to gain an awareness of the impact local officials have on their lives and take interest in voting.

“If you care about the region and the community, it’s really important that you contribute to the choosing of these elected officials,” she said.

Garner echoed the importance of getting young people to vote.

“They are the future of our country,” he said. “ We have to get them started on a pattern of voting when they are young that will continue as they grow.”

Rea Grainger, student government town-relations committee chairman, said it’s important for students to vote because the candidates themselves will take notice.

“It is important . to notify elected officials that students do care and that we are interested in keeping one-stop voting here on campus,” Grainger said.

Lisa Wiese, a UNC graduate student who voted Tuesday, said she saw voting as an important way to get involved. Wiese was the only student who met up with Carson to vote before 3 p.m. Tuesday.

“We live in a representative democracy, and we should exercise that privilege,” Wiese said.

Carson said she will also be at the post office at 4 p.m. Thursday.