CARY - Coming off a three-game sweep of Florida Atlantic" the No. 5 North Carolina baseball team was forced to wait an extra hour and a half to begin its home opener.Rainstorms throughout the day caused play to start at 5 p.m.

The game was UNC's first at 2008 home USA Baseball National Training Complex while Boshamer Stadium is under construction.

And nearly four hours" four errors and seven unearned runs later Old Dominion (2-1) knocked off the Tar Heels 8-6 in 10 innings.

The first six innings of the game flew by as both starting pitchers held their own.

In fact the only notable occurrence during that span was when UNC ace reliever Rob Wooten was struck in the arm by a foul ball while in the dugout" making him unavailable to pitch in later innings.

""I can't even remember the first seven innings"" coach Mike Fox said. All I know is they hadn't scored.""

UNC (3-1) entered the eighth inning leading 3-0" but a slew of errors by both teams led to a 5-5 tie after nine innings. In the 10th inning even more mistakes cost the Tar Heels.

The top of the 10th saw a couple of Tar Heel miscues - a theme in North Carolina's home opener - including a passed ball on a strikeout that would have ended the game by third baseman-turned-catcher Chad Flack. That play loaded the bases and allowed the inning to continue.

Then ODU first baseman Bryan Cipolla - whose ninth-inning solo home run gave Old Dominion its only earned run of the game - stepped up to the plate and knocked the ball deep to left field.

It appeared UNC left fielder Kendric Burney would make it to the ball and end the inning but on a rain-slicked turf Burney's cleats failed him.

As he slipped on the grass the ball dropped about a foot in fair territory and plated three ODU runners.

Those unearned runs proved to be the difference maker for the Monarchs on the evening.

The Tar Heels would get the tying run in scoring position in the bottom of the 10th but a Seth Williams strikeout ended the rally.

With another game Thursday" there's no time for UNC to worry about the loss.

""This game is going to be out of our minds by tonight"" junior Tim Federowicz said.

Starting Tar Heel pitcher, freshman Matt Harvey, had a solid performance in his first collegiate start, pitching 4.2 innings without allowing a run. He allowed three hits and two walks and struck out an impressive eight Old Dominion batters.

But errors cost UNC in the end.

Thank goodness it's just the fourth game of the year" Fox said.

If they're all like this" I'll be dead by the end of the season.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.