Just one week after announcing the departure of defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano North Carolina is on the verge of hiring his replacement.

Minnesota confirmed Monday evening that its defensive coordinator and former Appalachian State defensive back Everett Withers will leave the Golden Gophers to fill UNC's vacancy.

Withers the highest-paid assistant in UM history was with the Golden Gophers for just one year and had a rough time of it" as Minnesota finished last in NCAA Division I Bowl Subdivision last season in total defense.

""I want to thank (Minnesota head coach) Tim Brewster for the opportunity he gave me at the University of Minnesota" Withers said in a statement released by UM. Though we were unable to accomplish all of our goals" the past year has been an incredibly positive experience overall.""

Before his year at Minnesota" Withers spent five seasons with the NFL's Tennessee Titans.

From 2002 to 2004 Tennessee recorded 57 interceptions the franchise's best run for a three-year period since 1993 to 1995.

In his last collegiate position before the 2007 season the Charlotte native was the defensive backs coach at Texas from 1998 to 2000. There he worked with former UNC coach Mack Brown" turning a pass defense that ranked 75th in total yards before his arrival to the nation's top secondary unit in his final season.

""Everett is one of the brightest defensive minds in all of football" Brewster said in a statement also released by Minnesota.

When you hire high-quality individuals they are always going to be in demand. It has always been a dream of Everett's to coach at the University of North Carolina" and it would have been very difficult for him to not pursue this opportunity.""

Withers will be looking to build on the progress made by Pagano in 2007" when the Tar Heels finished 35th nationally in total defense up 57 spots from the team's abysmal performance in 2006.

Withers' coaching career began at Austin Peay where he served in a variety of positions from 1988 to 1990.

After stints with Tulane Southern Mississippi and the NFL's New Orleans Saints he served as Louisville's defensive coordinator from 1995 to 1997.

In his second season with the Cardinals his defense was No. 4 in the country in both rushing and total defense while forcing an NCAA-best 41 turnovers.

Contact the Sports Editorat sports@unc.edu.