By

Banning or shutting down alcohol sales early on Halloween would cost thousands of dollars and probably wouldn't keep away the crowds" local bar owners told town staff Friday.

The about three dozen bar owners who met with the Chapel Hill staff at the Chapel Hill Public Library voiced almost unanimous opposition to proposals to curb alcohol sales in hopes of limiting the size of this year's festivities.

""To take a Friday away from all of us is going to be crippling"" said Rutland Tyler, an owner of Linda's Bar and Grill. We all employ people that will make rent on that day.""

The group discussed a number of town proposals intended to shrink crowds on Halloween.

Officials hope stopping alcohol sales before midnight or implementing a ban might keep crowds away.

Other possible changes include stopping buses from park-and-ride lots and setting and advertising an ending time for the festivities.

Police Chief Brian Curran told the group Friday that last year's roughly 80""000-person crowd was dangerous and fueled by alcohol.

""Even if they're in a pretty good mood" it's a pretty volatile situation for us" he said, adding that he thinks it pure luck that events haven't turned violent. We haven't had a mass casualty incident yet.""

Curran said police worry that the event could become like Apple Chill" cancelled in 2006 after three people were shot.

But at Halloween even someone setting off firecrackers near the crowd could cause a stampede he said.

Some bar owners said they would risk losing sales for the sake of safety and many said they support limiting the event's size.

But most representatives said the people frequenting bars on Halloween don't cause problems.

Tyler said he has kicked out only one person for unruly behavior during the past four Halloweens.

Others said students drinking in dorms and fraternity houses" and out-of-towners with their own alcohol are rowdier than locals.

Some bars have already made plans for Halloween night. East End Martini Bar will host a law-school party. Local 506 booked a band from the United Kingdom.

And some said that they feel singled out and that banning alcohol seems like a knee-jerk reaction.

""It seems to me that we've got a pressure-keg situation"" said Scott Maitland, owner of Top of the Hill Restaurant and Brewery. The way you release that is with a pressure-release valve"" not with an ax.""

No decisions have been made yet about alcohol sales" but Town Manager Roger Stancil who will make the decision promised to finalize plans by Oct. 15.