Emily Stephenson Assistant City Editor

halloshrink
News

Town scales back Halloween

After this year's last-minute campaign to make Halloween on Franklin Street smaller and safer local leaders are already evaluating the event and planning for next October. Officials said restrictions intended to keep out-of-towners from traveling to Chapel Hill and to prevent the alcohol problems usually inherent at downtown Halloween celebrations were overwhelmingly successful.

News

County impact fee may increase

Raising fees charged for new houses won't garner much money for school construction if houses don't sell Rick Perry told the Orange County Board of Commissioners on Monday. Perry who owns Rick Perry Construction Co. in Chapel Hill said he understands that commissioners want to raise the county's educational impact fee which helps pay for new school facilities to meet the needs of Orange County's growing student population.

News

Town to set process for new appointment

For the first time in 10 years the Chapel Hill Town Council will alter its own makeup. The council will decide tonight on a process for replacing 11-year council member Bill Thorpe who died Sept. 27. Mayor Kevin Foy has said that the council might choose to appoint a black person to fill the spot. Thorpe was the council's only black member.

News

Bars want to stay open October 31

Banning or shutting down alcohol sales early on Halloween would cost thousands of dollars and probably wouldn't keep away the crowds local bar owners told town staff Friday. The about three dozen bar owners who met with the Chapel Hill staff at the Chapel Hill Public Library voiced almost unanimous opposition to proposals to curb alcohol sales in hopes of limiting the size of this year's festivities.

News

A new tenant to _¶ ll the Gap

Demolition crews have begun working inside but owner Riddle Commercial Properties is staying tight-lipped about the future tenant at the corner of Franklin and Columbia streets. The commercial space at 108 E. Franklin St. housed a Gap clothing store until 2004 and the Carolina Theatre until 2005 but has been empty since.

News

Sixth charged in Aug. killing

A man who claimed to have been abducted in August by three of the suspects in the kidnapping and shooting death of a Chapel Hill man is now the sixth suspect. Matt Johnson is charged in the shooting death of 20-year-old Joshua McCabe Bailey District Attorney Jim Woodall said Tuesday.

More articles »