Haphazardly drop your finger onto a list of all-time NCAA field hockey champions and odds are it will land on North Carolina or Old Dominion.

In 27 seasons the two East Coast schools have combined to claim 14 national titles.

Tonight the field hockey giants meet at Henry Stadium" renewing a rivalry that regularly produces intensely close contests.

""It's a traditional rivalry"" coach Karen Shelton said. It's like when we play Duke. You throw out the record books.""

While both schools have gotten off to rough starts — No. 5 North Carolina lost two early-season contests"" and ODU only has one victory to its name — that has not prevented the Tar Heels from taking the Monarchs seriously.

""I think that Old Dominion — regardless of their schedule or who they've played" what their results are — they're always well coached very intense and they will give us a very strong fight" Shelton said.

The Monarchs started the season as the No. 8 team in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association Poll. But four losses to start the season — albeit all against teams in the top 15 — has the traditional power out of the polls. Don't tell the Tar Heels, though.

It's always a huge deal"" senior Britt van Beek said. Everyone gets so pumped to play them.""

Van Beek" who suffered three losses in four matches against the Monarchs in her first two seasons" has not let Old Dominion's less-than-stellar start take away her focus.

""Last year finally winning against them was such a good feeling"" she said. We really want to beat them.""

In preparation for ODU the Tar Heels have been working extensively on penalty corners"" an area that has not been as strong this season as UNC would have liked.

""It's an important part of the game"" senior Kate Scholl said. And our percentage wasn't as good as it should be.""

But Shelton said there has been much overall improvement in her team this week after two shutout victories this past weekend.

""We had two very" very good days of practice" she said. So I'm excited about playing anybody — but especially Old Dominion.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.